Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 23rd, 2013 20:00

Inspiron 14Z 5423 black screen

I turn the laptop on and get beeping sounds, like a truck backing up makes.  And the screen is black--blank.  When this first started, I got a picture which flickered, depending on what angle the screen was.  Now it's just blank.  HELP!  The laptop is still under warranty and the Indian guy said I should remove the battery.  But, where is the battery?  I don't have latches to push.  The only thing on the bottom which is removable (with 1 small screw) opens onto the motherboard? RAM?  I can't find a video showing how to get to the battery.  Does anyone know?

7 Technologist

• 

7.1K Posts

December 23rd, 2013 21:00

Hi Tzadi,

The Inspiron 5423/14z has an option of a reset button. In situations where the system freezes up, since the battery on this system is internal. Please press the reset button which will reset the system.

Also, connect the system to an external display and check if the system is powering up.

In addition, the computer might emit a series of beeps during start-up if there are errors or problems. This series of beeps identifies a problem and is called a beep code. Please count the number of beeps and reply us.

1 Message

August 17th, 2014 14:00

Solution that works 100% on all cases if there is no hardware problem. Even when the laptop is beeping 3 times, its not always hardware or motherboard failure.

Guys, if you are at this point and you are out of warranty, probably you should try this solution as it almost always works.

Prerequisite: Download this operation manual for reference.  (believe me you will need it)

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-14z-5423_Owner%27s%20Manual_en-us.pdf

now disassemble each and every component of your laptop, including mother board ! yes, mother board as well. 

here are the list of parts I disassembled.

- main battery

- HDD and optical drive

- SSD

- Wifi

- Display cable

- Coin cell (must remove it)

- Mother board.

- RAM

Pull every thing out. the most important are main battery and Coin Cell which keeps CMOS settings intact.

when you are done. leave all the parts disassembled for 10 minutes. (during this time you can go and pray to Allah (God) to help you out in this, at least I did that.)

After 10 minutes, press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to clear if there is any power left on board. Also press the reset button which is on back side of the board for 30 seconds. 

now put everything back. (yes, I mean everything besides front casing and keyboard). now turn on the power, and vola !!....enjoy.

===================================

How I got in to this problem.

===================================

Dell Ultrabook inspiron 14z- 5423 / windows 8.

My laptop was working fine until recently when it started having some problem during shut-down. Actually windows 8 seems to turn off but the laptop was still on and the led with glowing.

I tried to fix it with all possible solution including updating windows as well but nothing seemed to work.

Later I read somewhere to update my bios which was A8. The latest version I got from dell website was A13, so I ran the file and it asked to restart the laptop. As usual the laptop didn't started itself so I pressed the power button for sometime to turn if off and then turned it on. 

After this process the laptop forgot to boot. Pressing the power button would turn on the laptop but nothing was coming up on the display. Seriously, all the LEDs were glowing but there was nothing on the display and there was no beep sound as well. But after sometime when I tried to start several time it started making 3 beep sounds. 

When I searched dell forum for this I found that now its a hardware problem and the mother boards needs to be replaced, which was not possible in my case because I was out of warranty.

I had nothing to loose now, so I decided to do the above mentioned problem which worked for me !

2 Posts

November 29th, 2015 08:00

Hello, I am facing same issue and the no. of beeps are 8. Also it works fine on external display. Hence please let me know if this means something and how can I fix it. There is a white screen when the beep starts..

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 29th, 2015 09:00

That means your internal display isn't recognized.  First thing to do is unplug the system, disconnect the battery and check the cable that runs between the mainboard and back of the display panel.  If the cable and connectors look OK, chances are the white screen means the display panel has failed and will need to be replaced.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2015 10:00

Sure thanks, is it easy to replace display panel just in case?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 30th, 2015 04:00

It isn't inordinately difficult - just follow the service manual for the system (which you can get from support.dell.com using your service tag).

November 30th, 2015 18:00

My screen is black on my inspiron 14z. The first time it happened pressing the reset button worked. It is not working this time. I noticed this happened both times after my laptop died completely. I also noticed this has happened since I installed windows 10. Any suggestions? I'm not super comfortable with taking the computer apart.

No Events found!