Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2015 01:00

Inspiron 14z 5423 3 Beep Code

Hello,

My Dell will not boot up. It will not get to the Dell logo screen. After power on, it stays on the black screen and beeps 3 times. I've found info on the web that it leads to a bad system board. How reliable is that diagnosis? Is there a CD I can use to boot from to diagnose it better.

4 Posts

October 16th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

I had the same issue with Dell inspirion 5423 after installing Windows 10.
First, I followed this manual to remove CMOS battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BThpfrNRzFE

Then the beeping stopped, but laptop started after few attempts to start with F2 key.
Finally I upgraded the BIOS.

Read more at dailytwocents.com/solved-windows-10-killed-my-dell-inspiron-3520

4 Posts

October 16th, 2015 07:00

Hi,

I had the same issue with Dell inspirion 5423 after installing Windows 10.

First, I followed this manual to remove CMOS battery:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BThpfrNRzFE

Then the beeping stopped, but laptop started after few attempts to start with F2 key, as described here:

http://dailytwocents.com/solved-windows-10-killed-my-dell-inspiron-3520/#comment-34501

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2015 09:00

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery (requires removing the base cover), and hold the power button for 30 sec. Remove and reinstall both memory modules.

Try powering up again - if you can get past the three-beep halt, proceed with the diagnostics as above.  If you cannot, as noted your mainboard has failed and will need to be replaced.  No further diagnosis is possible at that point - and since just about everything inside the system is soldered to the mainboard except the memory and drive, there's little you can do other than replace it.

9.4K Posts

August 12th, 2015 09:00

Hi solsurf,

Thanks for posting.

The Dell Diagnostics can be reached at startup.  Here's some information and a short video on how to do that.

Dell Pre-Boot System Assessment (PSA)

1. Restart your computer.
  2. When the Dell logo screen appears, press F12several times to open the One-Time Boot menu.
    Note: If the One-Time Boot menu does not open, wait for the Windows login screen to appear. Then restart your computer and try again.
  3. Use the Down Arrow key to select Diagnostics (or PSA+ or Enter ePSA), then press Enter to begin the assessment.
  4. Write down any error codes listed on your screen.
  5. Use the Dell Interactive Support Agent to get information on the error codes listed in the PSA.

Post back if you need additional assistance.

Regards,
Robert

6 Posts

January 10th, 2016 01:00

Thanks solved my problem

6 Posts

January 13th, 2016 02:00

This solved the problem, but after few days happened again and I had to dis assemble the laptop again. Any permanent fix for this problem ?

6 Posts

February 15th, 2016 18:00

This solution solved my problem but keep happening again and again,and every time I had to reassemble;e the laptop and finally found a solution to prevent it from happening. You will need to disable hibernation from the command prompt powercfg /hibernate off

11 Posts

March 4th, 2016 22:00

Awesome.

Dell support = trash

2 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 01:00

Upgraded from win8.1 to win10 and  ssd , happily using win10 for few month w/o any issue. Suddenly 1 update last week  hang  my Inspiron 14z-5423 is dead. Only power on light, 3 beeps after awhile. Cannot enter to bios.

Gone through removing all screws and batteries ,still the same.

Is it worth sending to dell to repair? .

No Events found!