Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2016 08:00

[Inspiron 14z] How may I disable my keyboard?

I'm using a Inspiron 14z 5423. After a crash, the keyboard started malfunctioning and typing things itself. Although it still has some reaction while pressing some of the keys, it's completely unusable.

I tried disabling it through device manager but uninstalling the driver gave no effect. Trying to install an incompatible driver also didn't work since it didn't give me an option to choose a driver when I pressed updating it. I tried to find its driver(i8042prt.sys) and delete it but it refused. I tried using PNPutil.exe and devcon.exe in cmd to disable it but also didn't do anything.

I tried to open up the notebook but the nail was unable to be removed. Seems that the crash damaged some parts that maybe responsible for the issue.

Are there any more options for me to disable the keyboard?Maybe through BIOS?  The other parts are working normally except for the touchpad which I don't bother to use.

3 Posts

November 13th, 2016 17:00

Download a keyboard remapping program - SharpKeys (open source freeware). Map all your keys to nothing.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 17:00

" I tried to open up the notebook but the nail was unable to be removed. Seems that the crash damaged some parts that maybe responsible for the issue"

:emotion-2:

Just to be sure you're opening the laptop correctly, please click on link below and view pages 19 - 22. I do suggest you disconnect/reconnect the keyboard cable. By the way, I don't think you can disable the Keyboard.

Inspiron 14z 5423 Owner's Manual

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 14th, 2016 18:00

" After a crash, the keyboard started malfunctioning and typing things itself. Although it still has some reaction while pressing some of the keys, it's completely unusable"

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

If it possible, you can connect a external USB or Bluetooth keyboard to test if it responds correctly?  

7 Posts

November 15th, 2016 05:00

" I tried to open up the notebook but the nail was unable to be removed. Seems that the crash damaged some parts that maybe responsible for the issue"

Just to be sure you're opening the laptop correctly, please click on link below and view pages 19 - 22. I do suggest you disconnect/reconnect the keyboard cable. By the way, I don't think you can disable the Keyboard.

Inspiron 14z 5423 Owner's Manual

Yes, after searching hours on the internet, I couldn't disable my keyboard so I tried the "hardware way".

thanks for the advice, I will surely take a close look of the manual now

7 Posts

" After a crash, the keyboard started malfunctioning and typing things itself. Although it still has some reaction while pressing some of the keys, it's completely unusable"

I'm assuming windows 10 is on the system.....

If it possible, you can connect a external USB or Bluetooth keyboard to test if it responds correctly?  

I 'm now using a external USB keyboard and the computer works well when there are no input from the original keyboard. Maybe Windows 10 is on the system but seems that I have too few disk storage to update?

7 Posts

Download a keyboard remapping program - SharpKeys (open source freeware). Map all your keys to nothing.

Will it affect my USB keyboard too? Since I'm using a external USB keyboard and it functions perfectly.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 08:00

"thanks for the advice, I will surely take a close look of the manual now "

Hopefully you're able to fix the keyboard problem in the near future. I'm looking forward to your update.

Keyboard, touchpad, or mouse not working correctly:

www.dell.com/.../{doclang}

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 15th, 2016 08:00

EDIT:

7 Posts

November 17th, 2016 02:00

I followed the manual but I still couldn't open up the lid but I occasionally found out that pressing cap lock key twice could stop the random input. I'm using this method to clear the internal keyboard's input now.

7 Posts

November 17th, 2016 02:00

I don't have a Num Lock Key on my 14z 5423.. I pressed it through the On-Screen Keyboard but it didn't fix anything.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 18th, 2016 10:00

Any updates lok kwok? I'm hoping you were able to fix the keyboard.

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 10:00

I can't remove the assess door because screw just can't be loosened.. I'm using a usb keyboard as well as an on-screen keyboard to type now.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

November 23rd, 2016 11:00

You can contact Technical Support for further assistance in link below. Hopefully one of the Dell rep or another person can charm in and be a help to you.

www.dell.com/.../Contact-Information

No Events found!