Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 5th, 2014 01:00

Inspiron 14z n411z (Laptop): Authoritative confirmation of memory upgrade to 16 GB, 16GB, 16gb

Inspiron 14z n411z (Laptop): Authoritative confirmation of memory upgrade to 16 GB, 16GB, 16gb There are various claims that 14z/n411z can be upgraded to 16GB (unofficial or therotical based on CPU-i5 being Sandy bridge) Here are the main issues on this subject that has left many customers scramble for answers and find themselves confused: * It is the interest of customers that Dell come out with an official statement "confirming" or "denying" if this is possible * Yes, at the time of sale Dell stated that max permitted was 8GB. But now therotically (Sandy Bridge CPU can support 16Gb) and based on other users experiments it seems possible, but no concrete/firm proof available. * If it is possible, Dell can always state that it will not support 16GB, though it (Dell) has tested it as possible in their labs. * In the absence of a confirmation from Dell, most memory vendors are not selling memory 16 GB upgarde for Inspiron using their "configurators". * There is another confusing twist to this problem, created by the fact there is another Dell XPS model facing same problem. But they newer CPU, for which most vendors are selling the memory upgrade on their configurators. * For Dell, most users are now "past their Warranty" period. There is no liability in answering this question. In the LARGER interest of customers Dell should clear this doubt. For those users who have done this at their home or office, can you please show us the "steps" and "results": * Some users have claimed they have upgraded successfully to 16GB after updating their BIOS to current or latest version * Can these early adopters post videos or steps on how they have done this. Please. * Some have indicated they have faced problems, but have not stated if the BIOS upgrade was done * Also what has been your experience after running it for few months. * There are claims that 16GB upgrade has dramatically improved the life of 14z N411z, theoretically I would agreed it would. Proof required. Can the community or Dell, please give us authoritative answers

6 Posts

January 21st, 2017 04:00

So based on the above, I ordered 2 Crucial 8GB ddr 1600mhz and installed them on my Inspiron 14z n411z, but it will not boot up.  If I remove one stick so there is only 8GB, it boots just fine.  BTW the bios setup screen reports that the 8GB memory is running at 1600mhz.  It appears to me that 8GB is the max for this machine...

11 Posts

August 5th, 2014 02:00

HTML version, sorry did not realize the editor would post it as text

Inspiron 14z n411z (Laptop): Authoritative confirmation of memory upgrade to 16 GB, 16GB, 16gb

There are various claims that 14z/n411z can be upgraded to 16GB (unofficial or therotical based on CPU-i5 being Sandy bridge)

Here are the main issues on this subject that has left many customers scramble for answers and find themselves confused:
* It is the interest of customers that Dell come out with an official statement "confirming" or "denying" if this is possible
* Yes, at the time of sale Dell stated that max permitted was 8GB. But now therotically (Sandy Bridge CPU can support 16Gb) and based on other users experiments it seems possible, but no concrete/firm proof available.
* If it is possible, Dell can always state that it will not support 16GB, though it (Dell) has tested it as possible in their labs.
* In the absence of a confirmation from Dell, most memory vendors are not selling memory 16 GB upgarde for Inspiron using their "configurators".
* There is another confusing twist to this problem, created by the fact there is another Dell XPS model facing same problem. But they newer CPU, for which most vendors are selling the memory upgrade on their configurators.
* For Dell, most users are now "past their Warranty" period. There is no liability in answering this question. In the LARGER interest of customers Dell should clear this doubt.

For those users who have done this at their home or office, can you please show us the "steps" and "results":
* Some users have claimed they have upgraded successfully to 16GB after updating their BIOS to current or latest version
* Can these early adopters post videos or steps on how they have done this. Please.
* Some have indicated they have faced problems, but have not stated if the BIOS upgrade was done
* Also what has been your experience after running it for few months.
* There are claims that 16GB upgrade has dramatically improved the life of 14z N411z, theoretically I would agreed it would. Proof required.

Can the community or Dell, please give us authoritative answers

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2014 05:00

Official support is 8G as 2X4 soDIMMs.  Anything beyond that may or may not work but is not officially supported.

Crucial, which guarantees compatibility of RAM, often allows for more RAM than Dell officially supports, and backs it up with a money-back guarantee.  Not in this case.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2014 07:00

The faster RAM Crucial sells WILL work (they guarantee it).  If you're looking for the specs to match RAM from elsewhere, ask that vendor (particularly whether they guarantee compatibility).  Most do not - if that's the case, either buy from a vendor that does, or you take your chances.

However fast the RAM spec, the system will not run faster than 1333 MHz at the RAM interface.

11 Posts

August 5th, 2014 07:00

EJN63 thanks for the information about Crucial memory. I just checked their site and they have two types of DDR3 memory modules available: DDR3-1866 • 1.35V DDR3-1600 • 1.35V The OEM 14z n411z was sold with DDR3-1333Mhz, do you think/guess the 1866Mhz and 1600Mhz will work or cause problems? Details of the modules offered by Crucial: DDR3 PC3-12800 • CL=11 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1600 • 1.35V • DDR3 PC3-14900 • CL=13 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1866 • 1.35V • It would be nice, if someone from Dell can say, do it or upgrade it, it can work, but we will not support it. Or some experienced early adopters can share their experience, after use for few months.

11 Posts

August 5th, 2014 08:00

@EJN63: Agree with you that 1333Mhz will be the limiting factor. The extra speed generated by the faster memory module will be of no use or not fully utilized.

@EJN63 Thanks for your inputs.

11 Posts

August 5th, 2014 09:00

Detailed memory specs to look for if ordering without using vendor configurator or memory tool:

Based on Dell website the original memory specs seem like:
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/PfydFeaturedCategoryResults.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=eep&cs=6099&mfgpid=224430

Memory Type
DDR3 - SO DIMM 204-pin

System specific
Data Integrity Check
Non-ECC

Speed
1333 MHz ( PC3-10600 )

Features
Unbuffered

Designed For
Alienware M14, M18; Inspiron 14, M101, M4110, M501, M5010, M5110, N5030, N5110, One 2020, One 23XX, Q15; Latitude E5410, E5420, E5520, E6220, E6320, E6420, E6520, XT3; Precision Mobile Workstation M6500; Studio 14XX; Vostro 1440, 1540, 330, 3350, 3450, 3550, 360, 3750, V130, V131; XPS 14, 15, 17

on the compatability button, it says the same specs apply for 14z / n411z

11 Posts

August 5th, 2014 09:00

@EJN63 I ran a scan using Crucial's tool or utility and it did not recommend a 16GB upgrade (2x8GB). It came up with 8GB (2x4GB). Seems a little strange, since your experience has been different than mine.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 5th, 2014 10:00

I never said 16G were supported -- read above.  I said in some cases Crucial allows for more RAM than Dell does.  It is not the case for your system.

There are vendors which test their RAM with specific systems and guarantee compatibility accordingly - Crucial is one.  Kingston has KTD-spec RAM.  So too does Corsair (system-specific RAM).  Those are risk-free purchases.

Anything else, be sure you know what your vendor's restock policy is.

11 Posts

August 6th, 2014 02:00

@EJN63 Sorry, it is my mistake, I had referred your statement from memory.

I will check your suggestions and ideas.

However, we are back at same point where we started this post:
1. Can Dell confirm if 16GB (2*8GB) will work on Inspiron 14z n411z, which it seems like is not going to happen
2. I am hoping someone who has done the 16GB upgrade and used it for few months can confirm it is viability and posts the steps involved (video or text).

October 7th, 2016 22:00

Really old thread but I was in Best Buy wondering the same thing. That is "Can I install two 8 GB RAM chips in my Inspiron?" and search on google brought me to this forum. I ended up buying the 2 x 8 GB ddr3 1600 mhz and installed them. Works flawlessly! They are Crucial memory brand if any one reading this was wondering. I bought at Microcenter since two best buy locations didn't have them in stock surprisingly.

No Events found!