Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 23rd, 2015 21:00

Inspiron 15 3000 audio jack cant detect headphone

Inspiron 15 3000 audio jack cant detect headphone, but dell audio can detect something plugged in. However the playback device at Sound cannot detect any headphone. Now i only receive buzzing sound in headphone. How to fix this problem??

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

January 24th, 2015 04:00

Hello. To test the headphone jack switch between the Realtek audio driver and the Windows native audio driver.

1. Open the Device Manager (type devmgmt.msc in the Windows search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver,  do it again but reverse the names in steps 1 and 6.]

If there is still only buzzing even with the native driver, test using other headphones. If still no luck then probably hardware failure. Contact tech support for repair if under warranty.

If it works okay with the native driver then the Realtek driver is buggy. Try a different version of the driver. If you need help with that reply back with the full model name (something like "Inspiron 11 3147", etc) and which operating system it has.

April 21st, 2015 14:00

HI THIS IS RAGHUVEERA REDDY 

MY LAPTOP MODEL IS DELL INSPIRON 15 3000 SERIES.AUDIO JACK PIN IS NOT WORKING.SO IWANT TO REPLACE THE AUDIO JACK.WHAT IS THE COST OF THE AUDIO JACK PIN

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 22nd, 2015 05:00

MY LAPTOP MODEL IS DELL INSPIRON 15 3000 SERIES.AUDIO JACK PIN IS NOT WORKING.SO IWANT TO REPLACE THE AUDIO JACK.WHAT IS THE COST OF THE AUDIO JACK PIN

Hello.If your laptop is still under warranty you should contact tech support to have Dell fix it. It is difficult to talk about parts without knowing the full model name of your laptop, but in most of the Dell models the audio jack socket is integrated onto the motherboard. Here is a picture of an Inspiron 15 3542 motherboard with the audio jack circled in red:

When a Dell technician has to repair a faulty jack like that, usually they just replace the entire motherboard. If you wanted to do it yourself, you would have to find a salvaged motherboard and remove the jack from it, unless you can find the salvaged part for sale on ebay or elsewhere. Even if you can get the part it might not be possible to replace the jack without damaging the motherboard.

There are some Dell models that have the audio jacks on a separate smaller circuit board, and on those models you just have to replace the circuit board, but as far as I know all of the "3000" models have the jack on the motherboard.

If your laptop is no longer under warranty the simple solution is to buy an inexpensive usb audio jack and use that with headphones. (Google usb audio jack.)

Note that sometimes when the jack fails to detect the headphones, the fault is with the Realtek audio driver, not the jack. I gave instructions earlier in this thread on how to test the driver.

1 Message

May 17th, 2015 20:00

Thank you!!! :emotion-5:

1 Message

June 11th, 2017 14:00

Thanks alot. My issue has solved.

1 Message

June 21st, 2017 01:00

Just uninstall and reinstall the realtek high definition audio driver. It will do the magic. Also after inserting earphones pls wait for 5 secs to detect.

1 Message

July 11th, 2017 00:00

Thank you Jimco. The problem is resolved.

No Events found!