Neil Prague1
1 Nickel

RE: Inspiron 15 3521 Has very annoying keys and space bar.

Jump to solution

I've had the same hassles with the spacebar key and tried some of the fixes recommended here. I would suggest that you only take the key off if you are absolutely confident that you know exactly how to do this. I got the key off (with some difficulty) but couldn't get it back on again properly. Turned out I'd broken one of the flanges that holds it in place. I ended up having to get a new keyboard which has exactly the same issues with the spacebar but I'm not going to try fixing it again!

0 Kudos
Bipsdell
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just bought this laptop and I too have same issue. I am using it for office works and I have to type lot faster. The space bar is really very annoying. 

I don't understand why Dell is not improving the keyboard in this model. Dell is no more Dell. I am going to sell mine in second hand price and willing to go for Lenovo. 

0 Kudos
andydgg
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

so, I got the keyboard fixed, good service. I lost the charger, bought a new charger, and now the screen has a big white line down the centre! and no it's nothing to do with the charger. the laptop is now 14 month old, the last dell I had lasted 15 month before everything started to go. Dell laptops last till they are out of warranty then fall apart, how do they do it?

0 Kudos
leeteeinAZ
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I've been using Dell PCs and laptops for years, both professionally and personally. I bought this Inspiron 15r laptop new in March 2014, and soon began to notice the trouble with the spacebar.

It seems to be an engineering issue with this particular keyboard. If you press the spacebar near the bottom, that is, closer to the hand rest and touchpad, it doesn't register the blank character. If you press the spacebar nearer to its middle or top, it registers a space every time.

This was frustrating because I am a touch typist and I really had to slow down and think about the position of my thumbs over the spacebar. I've never had to do that with any other laptop keyboard.

So after reading through this forum and realizing that the problem was more widespread than just my laptop, I decided to give Dell the benefit of the doubt. I work in IT and it's not uncommon for a hardware problem like this to be addressed and fixed with an engineering change. So I contacted Dell support through their live chat services, and no sooner had I explained the problem, the tech immediately told me that Dell would replace the keyboard, and he asked for my mailing address.

That was a couple of days ago. I just received the new keyboard today and it looked exactly the same. I was afraid it was just another keyboard off the shelf. But after installing it and testing it, the spacebar problem has been fixed! It works every time now, regardless of my thumb position.

The replacement keyboard was sent at no cost to me, and it's relatively easy to replace. The hardest part is getting the old keyboard out. If you follow the instructions in the Owner's Manual, it will come out, but read on for some tips.

It's hard to get past the first clip and get under the keyboard to lift it out. Don't pry on the black plastic part next to the keys; you have to get below that. If you look closely along the top edge of the keyboard you'll see the shiny edge of the aluminum backing that supports the entire keyboard. Pick one of the spring-loaded tabs - such as the one above the [PrntScr] button - and push it back (toward the display, away from the keys) with the smallest, thinnest flat blade screwdriver you can find, especially if you don't have the "plastic scribe" recommended in the manual. With the clip pushed back, slide the tip of the scribe/screwdriver down below the aluminum backing and pry upwards. Once you get the first one, the others will come more easily.

0 Kudos
BREWPON
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Good common sense BRAZEN...love it! I will try it myself and let you know.

0 Kudos
BREWPON
1 Copper

Jump to solution

took packing tape and cut it into little small pieces, sticking pieces on top of each other, and then stuck it on bottom of space bar....it works every time, now, as long as i hit it in the middle! I think the problem on the sides may have to do with the wires not being set, as stated in previous posts... Not too worried about that. Thanks for awesome solution!

0 Kudos
BREWPON
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Although I loved BRAZEN's common sense fix, this one is a lot better! 5 minutes on the phone and they are shipping me a new keyboard... thanks!

0 Kudos
andydgg
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

credit where it's due, while it was under warranty, I mentioned it on this thread, a quick chat here and they turned up a couple of days later and changed the keyboard.

0 Kudos
Neil Prague1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I agree with Bipsdell. As I posted a while ago, I tried to fix the issue myself and ended up having to get another keyboard, which has exactly the same problem with the spacebar. I also have an Inspiron 15Z which has a much better keyboard, but the hard disk failed after six months and it's in for repair. I'd already had to replace it once for hardware problems when it was new.

I will not risk buying Dell again, which is a shame as Dell used to be a quality brand. No longer, alas.

0 Kudos
MarilynneS
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

How the hec do you replace a keyboard .. shouldn't Dell get someone to DO that.

It's like me telling my patients to start their own IVs ..

M

0 Kudos