Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 6th, 2014 21:00

Inspiron 15 - 3537 there is only one headphone jack

About two days ago, I purchased a new laptop (a Dell Inspiron 3537), I love it so far except there is one major problem, there is only one headphone jack? How am I suppose to insert my microphone plug?

- Anyways that isn't even the major problem, that's just a side problem, here's the big problem; When I insert my headphone plug into the jack I receive no sound what so ever through the headphones and the sound continues to play through the speakers. I've tried four working pairs of headphones all receive the same problem.

Please help, I want to be able to use my headset for gaming/talking/videos/movies ect.

1 Message

July 9th, 2014 20:00

Hello Michel, 

Problem is not either of hardware and software, this is only of settings, with all single jack laptop this persist. Please Open Sound in Control Panel and Change Setting in Playback Tab, Try Disabling and enabling headphone and Speakers. 

This must be work. 

Enjoy sound. :) 

1 Message

July 23rd, 2014 03:00

I too have this laptop and have had the same issue. I have a turtlebeach headset and because this headset has two daughter jacks (the mic and headphones) but the laptop only has one male jack made to either have a mic or headphones in. I have been searching for a solution, and finally found something. What you need is a splitter... to split one male jack into the two daughter jacks. They are very rare to come across in Australia, and the only place to find them is online. I had a search on ebay and if u would like to purchase one online, here is the link: 

http://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_odkw=3.5mm+combo+jack+adapter&_osacat=0&_from=R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.X3.5mm+headset+splitter&_nkw=3.5mm+headset+splitter&_sacat=0 

I hope this helped you out :D

11 Posts

February 6th, 2014 21:00

Hi their

Just use your mobile phone's head phone

Thanks

February 6th, 2014 22:00

I do not have a pair anymore, I've lost them - Plus I want to use my headset that I paid for..

Edit - I found a pair of smartphone headphones, plugged them in - same problem...

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 7th, 2014 04:00

When I insert my headphone plug into the jack I receive no sound what so ever through the headphones and the sound continues to play through the speakers. I've tried four working pairs of headphones all receive the same problem.

Hello. It is either a hardware or driver problem. To test the driver, remove the Realtek audio driver and install the native windows driver. Open the Device Manager(type devmgmt.msc in the search box) and expand "Sound, video and game controllers". Right click on the Realtek and select to uninstall. Put a check mark in the option to delete the files, and then ok. When you reboot, Windows will either install its own native driver or another Realtek driver if there were any other versions on the hard drive. So go back to the Device Manager and check for a Realtek driver. Keep uninstalling & rebooting until Realtek no longer appears under Sound Controllers and "High Definition Audio Device" appears in its place.

That is the basic native driver. Test with a known working set of headphones. If it works now then either there is a bug in the Realtek driver or a misconfiguration.

Some communication configurations for gaming purposes will send audio through the speakers even when headphones are plugged, in order to reserve headphones for communications between players. Download and reinstall your Realtek driver and test the jack before making any changes. Right after you install the driver it will have the normal configuration of audio going to the headphone jack (when headphones are plugged in).

If it still does not work then the hardware may be defective. You might want to return the laptop as you are still within the return period, or contact tech support to schedule a repair.

there is only one headphone jack? How am I suppose to insert my microphone plug?

Your laptop has a "combo" headset jack that is intended to accept the mic that is built into a smart phone type of headset -- by that I mean the kind that has only one plug for both the headphones and the mic. That type of plug has 4 segments like in this picture.

If you have a regular mic with a 3 segment plug then you need an adapter to get it to work with the combo jack. Note that you can use any regular headphones with the combo jack -- the kind with a 3 segment 3.5mm plug.

The combo jack cannot be used as a stereo line-in jack even with an adapter. It is a stereo output jack but only a mono input jack.

February 8th, 2014 02:00

I went to device manager and uninstalled realtek High Definition Audio Device has replaced it, sound still comes through the speakers

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 8th, 2014 04:00

You can return the laptop (within 21 days of date on the invoice) or get it repaired. Just want to mention that under the terms of the warranty, Dell can install used parts.

15 Posts

February 9th, 2014 00:00

Jim Coates -- senior forum member Tech Support will refuse warranty service for speaker problems if the VLC media player is installed on the laptop. This exclusion is NOT disclosed in the laptop warranty! Remove all players before contacting Tech Support, leaving only Windows Media Player. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- That sounds like restrictive practices :( I could understand that technical support cannot expect to understand all available software. But to single one out is disturbing. A comment like:- Our staff may need to remove or request that the user remove any none standard software prior to a system investigation. Would be more acceptable.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This site is very slow and does not support formatting of text :( ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hence all the dashes!------------------ or is it my browser?

February 9th, 2014 00:00

What about if I purchase one of these?

http://i.imgur.com/LkA1PR6.png

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

February 9th, 2014 04:00

What about if I purchase one of these?

http://i.imgur.com/LkA1PR6.png

Yes.

Huntsman3, if you want to discuss a topic not about MichaelD-P's issue, please start a new thread. Click on a "New Post" button, not a "Reply" button. Thanks.

1 Message

December 20th, 2015 06:00

Hello

Thank you to jimco ... now is 20 Dec 2015 :)

For the same problem like Michael D-P my solution are:

o a splitter

o change the input in "Sound"-tab from "Speaker/Headphone" to "Headphone".

o acknowledge the change.

o that's all

And now I hear "only" thru my headphone Kenny Rodgers .....

1 Message

June 16th, 2016 13:00

I'm trying to use the (mono) line in function of the combo jack.  From this post, it seems obvious that I need to construct my own cable to do so.  But from the description provided thus far, I still don't know which of each of the four conductors (plug segments) corresponds to what (mic vs. speaker).  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

No Events found!