Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

October 19th, 2017 18:00

Inspiron 15 3543 slow

For the past couple months, my laptop has been operating slow.  Any application I open has taken longer than usual to open. Last weekend, I downloaded and installed the latest Windows 10 update and now applications are taking longer to open. I ran diagnostics and ran scans and cleared the temp files and defrag, and checked for updated drivers.  I don't know what else I can do.

Any help would be appreciated.

• 

16.7K Posts

October 20th, 2017 07:00

cagill,

Click the links below for information to download and run the support assist Optimize My Computer. The new version of support assist will clean up your system and is designed to help the system run better.

Dell SupportAssist for PCs and tablets

Support Assist YouTube  Videos  

Start at the top video and work downwards for information on how to use Support Assist.

54 Posts

December 23rd, 2017 22:00

Since my last post, the laptop has been running extremely slower.  All applications, the Internet, takes a minute or more to open.  I've notice delayed responses when typing.  I believe this all started after the last Windows update that occurred over the summer.  I had Windows 10 Home and the update installed Windows 10 Pro.

Yesterday I checked for any Windows Updates and noticed an automatic update was attempting to install the new Windows 10 update but it had stopped at 66%.  Today I spent most of the day trying to get it to install.  I finally got it installed and the laptop is still running slow.  I was on the Internet and it stopped responding.  The laptop was not responding, I couldn't do Ctrl-Alt-Del.. I had to manually turn off the laptop.

When I logged back in,  I ran the Dell SupportAssist and ran the Optimize my computer.  I tried opening a couple applications and they are still taking long to open.  

54 Posts

December 24th, 2017 16:00

I restored my system back to the previous Windows 10 version 1703.  The new update version 1709 was causing too many problems.  My system is still slow but at least it is operable.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 25th, 2017 09:00

:emotion-2:

I'd suggest downloading and running the free version of Malwarebytes anti -malware. It's the best tool for get rid of nasty malwares that slow down the computer.

Malwarebytes - Official Site

By the way, you're using either Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge or some other type of browser? Also, you using McAfee as the system anti virus software?  

54 Posts

December 30th, 2017 17:00

LSUFAN51

I did just that - downloaded Malwarebytes - and the system is running better, not as good as prior to the switch to Windows 10 pro, but it is better.  

My default browser is Chrome.  I have Kaspersky Internet Security.  

No Events found!