Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 28th, 2016 12:00

Inspiron 15 5000 keeps dropping internet for no reason

Still trying to get help to fix wifi that disconnects repeatedly for no reason.

I have a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series, with intel core i3

Runs Windows 10 which came installed on laptop.

I read that a lot of people have this problem. Seems stupid that one of the most important parts of the computer, the wifi driver, is where Dell skimped on when making this laptop.

PLEASE HELP. THANK YOU.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 28th, 2016 13:00

:emotion-2:

Please check for the latest windows updates are installed. At the left bottom of the taskbar, please click on windows logo key,Settings, and then Update & Security.Install any available updates and restart your PC if required. 

I also like to suggest you enter the service tag number (or click on Auto- detect your product) onto the link below, and then update the system wifi driver.

www.dell.com/.../

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

How to fix wifi limited access problem in windows 10 - Method I

1- Changing the power saver settings of wireless adapter
2- uninstalling the wifi driver from device manager and reinstalling it by scanning for hardware changes
3- resetting the ip address by a command prompt
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt

www.youtube.com/watch

How to Fix WIFI Limited Access Problem in Windows 10 - Method II

Right click on Windows start button I command prompt (admin) I paste the following commands and hit Enter

ipconfig /all
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
Please RESTART your computer to apply the changes!

www.youtube.com/watch

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

You can also use the Troubleshooting tool on your computer. Type troubleshooting control panel onto the (Cortana) search bar, click on "View All", and then Network Adapter.

May 28th, 2016 14:00

didn't work

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 28th, 2016 16:00

Please list exactly your Dell model. Example: Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series laptop (5558)

In the mean time, check to see if Airplane mode switch is turn off. At the left bottom of the taskbar, click the windows logo, Settings, Network & Internet, and then Airplane mode.

I also like to suggest you update the network driver in Device Manager. Right click the windows logo, click on device manager, stroll down to network driver, right-click the network adapter, and then select Update Driver Software > Search automatically for updated driver software. Follow the steps, then select Close.

Lastly,adjust your Wireless Adapter Settings in power options. Please type power options onto the (Cortana) search bar, click on " Change Plan Settings ", " Change Advance Power Settings", select Wireless Adapter Settings, and then Power Saving Mode. Please set ' On Battery" and "Plugged In" to Maximum Performance. See picture below......

May 29th, 2016 13:00

Yes, as I said before, it's a Dell Inspiron 15 5000 series 5558 running Windows 10.

I did what you recommended but when I right click to update the network adapter all it does is give me the option to check for new software, which I do, but nothing happens.

Everything else you suggested checked out fine. So, still looking for a solution.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 29th, 2016 14:00

My apologies.....:emotion-2:

I meant to say expand network adapter, and then update the wireless card. See picture below.....

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 29th, 2016 14:00

Here's a photo of my wireless card in device manager:

June 5th, 2016 17:00

I was able to seemingly correct the problem by updating the driver. Apparently the driver was outdated upon purchase. They really shouldn't sell computers with outdated drivers. What a pain!

I say "seemingly" because I haven't lost connection to wifi except once briefly, since updating it.

I'd give you step by step how I did it, but I don't recall... was basically figured out by playing around with this dang thing for hours.

I did not, however, have to download anything from the net, or buy anything either. I recall right-clicking on the network? ... IDK... it then gave me the option to update driver which did the trick.

The hard part is just getting to where it will give you that option.

Thanks for the responses.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

June 5th, 2016 21:00

Glad your computer is fix now. Thanks for the update.....:emotion-2:

No Events found!