Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 16th, 2017 20:00

Inspiron 15 5000 radeon R7 m445 "discrete" video card.

Did some research on how to tell whether or not a laptop's gpu can be replaced, and still curious whether or not the inspiron 15 5000s that include the "discrete" (as in separate from the motherboard) R7 m445 would be able to have it's video card replaced. The manual for the laptop is the same across the cheaper models, which rely entirely on the integrated gpu,  and more expensive models that don't, and it doesn't include any information on it's gpu(s).

I researched more information on the Radeon m445 to find no existing non-integrated version of the gpu which would mean it couldn't possibly be discrete unless it is custom to that laptop or something but the specs on the dell page for the laptop say that the Radeon card is discrete: www.dell.com/.../hmc-video-card-inspiron-lt

So could the laptop have two on-board/integrated gpus with a motherboard that supports it, a discrete gpu that is replaceable but never mentioned to be, or is the discrete gpu nefariously soldered to a pci-e (or whichever) slot in the computer in order to make sure it is impossible to upgrade?  

I will open it up sometime and update this post if no one can give a definite answer. 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 26th, 2017 14:00

I just received one of these exact systems, and there is in fact NO discrete graphics solution even though it is advertised, and listed on the invoice. On my device manager screen it shows only a single entry for display adapter, the R7 integrated. The AMD software window indicates only 512mb shared DDR4 system memory. Dell is either knowingly or unknowingly ripping people off with their AMD Inspiron laptops, and believe me, I am going through H.E.L.L. right now trying to get them to own up and fix this. Be very wary when dealing with these guys, they (Advanced Resolutions team)  are trying everything possible to delay, misdirect, and frustrate.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 26th, 2017 18:00

"Discrete" does not mean separate from the mainboard -- and no, the GPU cannot be added or upgraded.  The GPU is hard soldered to the system board in over 95% of all notebooks these days -- the sole holdout are the very high-end  mobile workstation and gaming systems - Alienware, Precision, etc.

On the second post, are you asking about an Intel based system or an AMD-based one?  The 5000 series Intel CPU systems come either with Intel-only GPUs (those priced below about $850) or with AMD GPUs (those at $850 and up).

The Ryzen-based A9 and A12 APUs have different built-in GPUs depending on which APU you select.  The A9 uses an R5 GPU while the R12 uses an R7 GPU.

These systems run the gamut from very basic to high-mid-range -- depending on what you buy.  

They DO NOT all have AMD GPUs standard.

December 26th, 2017 20:00

I looked up the definition of discrete graphics:  “A separate graphics subsystem in a computer. Discrete graphics may refer to a stand-alone graphics card plugged into a motherboard slot or a separate GPU chip on the motherboard. Contrast with integrated graphics.”  So the GPU DOES necessarily have to be distinctly separate from the motherboard, and considering that the card in question is retailable as a separate card/chip it’s just that it wasn’t included with a slot to switch out; it would need to be just fused to the motherboard to function which would no longer count it as discrete because it’s no longer “separate” from the motherboard. Also the laptop is advertised as a laptop not a netbook. So either way it’s not as advertised regardless of how much it costs to get a laptop motherboard with a real destinct gpu.

The only way to resolve the discrepancy would be to sue or something (legal is not my department) for a large company like Dell to be more transparent with their claims about their products but I’m just mildly annoyed.

Source of definition: www.pcmag.com/.../discrete-graphics

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 27th, 2017 03:00

The definition is out of date - and not in keeping with the current state of technology.

If you want a system with a true, discrete GPU they exist -- the Precision 17" systems and the Alienware 17" systems, along with competitive models from the other workstation and gaming-class manufacturers.  

Separate video cards are very, very rare these days in 15" systems - and they do not exist in sub-$1,500-2,000 consumer-grade systems like the Inspiron/XPS/Vostro systems --- and the competition from HP, ASUS, Lenovo, etc.

247 Posts

December 27th, 2017 03:00

I just bought a Dell Inspiron 5567 with the AMD Radeon R7 M455 and discrete simply means separate from the CPU core not integrated. Although these days you have what is called a duel purpose switching GPU system. Where the laptop uses the Intel core graphic chip in 2D mode and when more intense GPU processes are required like HD video or 3D gaming it switches to the dedicated graphic GPU. Also this process is seamless and you can go into the AMD control and switch to use the Radeon GPU all the time. Although battery life will suffer. Also this laptop as with any dedicated GPU laptop I have ever known has no possible way of upgrading the graphics GPU. Frankly this Radeon R7 is a pretty low end model and not for playing today's 3D games at high settings or even high HD resolution. I've tried games like COD World at War and it runs fine at 1024x 768 but it still heats up the Dell pretty good. No this laptop is basically a good business laptop and for doing some video editing, and office production work. The discrete GPU is nice, but hardly needed given its weak and in mine I have a core i7 with 620 Intel graphics with plenty of power for 2D work. In all actuality the Radeon R7 probably won't even get used much given much of the scenario's I use it for.

No Events found!