Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 27th, 2016 08:00

Inspiron 15 5000 series ethernet connection dropping out since Windows 10 upgrade

I have a Dell Inspiron 15, 5000 series, that came with Windows 8.1 on it. I upgraded to Windows 10 and the ethernet connection started dropping out, giving messages that the cable is not connected, when it is. I had installed all the driver updates from Dell's site, including all the firmware and BIOS updates. According to the Dell site, the laptop has supposedly been tested to function with Windows 10.

I have disabled the card, then renabled it, but still no success. I have tried rolling back to Windows 8.1 and the ethernet connection functions just fine. I tried upgrading to Windows 10 again, but the ethernet connection does not function even after reinstalling all the drivers from Dell. Is there any way to find out if this model is just not capable of upgrading in spite of Dell's statement that it is?

2 Posts

July 28th, 2016 10:00

Actually, I found the answer this morning. I had to downgrade the driver for the Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller to 9.1.402.2015. So far everything is looking good. I have access to the internet via the ethernet cable. Going to let it run for a bit and make sure it is stable. I guess it was unhappy with the newest driver.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

I had installed all the driver updates from Dell's site, including all the firmware and BIOS updates. According to the Dell site

:emotion-2:

Please list exactly your Dell model number. Example: Dell Inspiron 5547

In the meantime, I'd suggest you update driver (Realtek PCle FE Family Controller) from device manager. Keep in mind, you're getting drivers updates from Microsoft as well. Please type device manager control panel onto [Cortana] search bar, stroll down to Network Adapter, and then expand it. Right click driver and then update it.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

:emotion-2:

I'd also suggest you use troubleshooting tool on the system. Please type troubleshooting control panel onto the {Cortana} search bar, click " View All ", and then Network Adapter. You can also try Internet Connections and Incoming Connections.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

July 28th, 2016 11:00

Glad you figured out the problem..... 

I hope you enjoy windows 10 much as I have...

Thanks for the quick update.....:emotion-2:

No Events found!