Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

May 1st, 2017 11:00

Inspiron 15-5547 sometimes does not restart from sleep and gets stuck on Dell Logo screen

I am running Windows 8.1 - the same o/s that came with my Inspiron 15-5547.

I move the computer between work and home. When I put  to sleep, and unplug it from power, then next time I turn on the computer, about 50% of the time it resumes correctly.

However, the other 50% of the time, I turn on the computer and it is displaying the round Dell logo on a black screen (like BIOS startup).  But the computer remains frozen on the screen and Windows does not load.

I need to hold down the power button to shut down, and then I wait a few seconds, and turn the computer back on.

At this point, the computer will usually load Windows correctly.  A few times I still get the frozen Dell screen and then just power off/on again.

Does anyone have any tips to fix this?  I am afraid that one day, Windows just won't load at all and then I'll be stuck.

Thanks,

Mike

2 Posts

May 1st, 2017 13:00

Thanks for the tip but it doesn't solve the issue.  My preferred power saving mode is Hibernate, which does shut down the computer.  However, the same issue that I described occurs when the computer is hibernating.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 1st, 2017 13:00

Always turn the computer completely off (shutdown) before moving. Leaving a computer Sleeping and then transporting it can damage the computer. Laptops use battery power when sleeping. They can overheat or worse when transported while in Sleep mode.  

Make sure you sometimes use the laptop on battery power alone--without the adapter. Batteries last longer when they are regularly used on battery and recharged regularly.

No Events found!