Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

November 16th, 2017 15:00

Inspiron 15 5559 No power, no LED's

Hello All,

I am trying to fix my partners Dell Inspiron 15 5559, 3 days ago she went to turn it on and it was non responsive. She looks after her laptop with extreme care, the has been no drops or spillages, or anything else.

When trying to turn on the laptop the is no response. When plugged in to the AC adapter the is no LED lighting up on the laptop either,
Have tried removing the battery, holding the power button for 3 minutes, reinserting the battery but no progress.
The AC adapter "block" (not sure correct term) does have a green light lit up on it, so I know that is getting power.

Does this model of laptop boot without a battery present normally (trying to rule out if it is a duff battery or not)?
Is the any other steps I should take before slowly taking it apart & seeing if the is a component short?
Lastly as the model is out of warranty, I assume that it would be cheaper to source a replacement part than send to dell for a repair (if it is a part fault)?

N.B. is the a known issue with dell laptops not powering up or is it just bad luck?

Thank you for your time.

On an unrelated note the recaptcha for making this post does not display properly in firefox latest version, had to switch to chrome to post here. Not sure if anyone is aware,

9.4K Posts

November 17th, 2017 05:00

Hi Marrv,

Thanks for posting.

Apologies that your partners computer is not working as expected.

From what you're describing, if the adapter is working, and plugged in (have you tried it on another computer?) it should boot even if the battery is dead.

If it's not, then the next suspect would be the motherboard.  Motherboards for this system are in the $200+ range, so several things might need to be considered if you're thinking about repair instead of replacement.  

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 06:00

Thank you for the reply. We do not have another Dell in the house to test the adapter on.

Isn't it unusual for a motherboard to fail? Have never come across this before (been repairing laptops/pc's for friends etc for over a decade) especially in laptops?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 17th, 2017 15:00

A decade ago, notebooks were built with a collection of parts mounted separately on the mainboard - the processor, and often the network adapter, power board, etc. were all separate plug-in parts.  In 2017, except for some very high-end systems, everything inside -- now even including the memory and in Apple systems, the solid state drive  -- is part of the mainboard.  Any failure of any of a host of components means the entire board must be replaced.

About 25-30% of notebooks suffer a major component failure in the normal 3-year lifespan of the system - so failures are not as uncommon as you might think -- and consumer demands for ever thinner and lighter systems has reduced the engineering margin on parts -- just as it has on other electronic devices.  A decade ago a cell phone would more likely than not survive a drop onto a hard surface.  The same drop now often causes expensive damage.

So -- failures are not as uncommon as you might think.

5 Posts

November 17th, 2017 15:00

Thank you for the clarification, I was not aware of the 3 year life span of devices. Although this failure occurred at 14 months, I would assume it to be a bell curve and just got the short end of the stick, so to speak.

Any idea where I could source a new mobo from in the UK?

No Events found!