Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 30th, 2015 07:00

Inspiron 15 7000 WIN7 drivers?

I have just purchased a new Inspiron 15 7000 which has Win 8 on it. I wanted Windows 7 but was aware that you no longer supply home use PCs with Win 7. I wish to regress the Inspiron to Win 7 but would like to know if all the drivers are applicable to this OS and will work with Win 7? I have had a look on the Support web site but can not find a way to select Win 7 on the driver download page.

I have been on to technical support and they aren't able to help they tell me to contact Software Support. This isn't really a software/programme isuue so I wonder if any body on the forum has tried to regress to WIN7 or can advise where I might get some advice.

Who ever you are "EJN63" Thank You Very Much! If only I had come on to the forum first it would have saved me a lot of frustration with Dell Support

Thanks again I will try the last bit of your post because I was quite worried that all the drivers especially the touch screen would no longer work.

[as an aside, and not connected with this problem, I have a BluRay/DVD USB 3.0 device that worked fine on WIN7 but doesn't on WIN8 (The device is listed in Win 7 as "hp bd rom bc 5501h", and the driver is 6.1.7601.17514") ANy Ideas about that?]

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you mean it won't play blue-ray content, that's because unlike with Windows 7, Microsoft removed blue-ray support from Windows 8.  There are some free (and low-cost) ways to restore blue-ray play.

< >

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Major points to consider:

1.  Make your Windows 8.1 recovery media before starting the process (Dell Backup and Recovery utility;  16G or larger dedicated flash drive).  Installing 7 is irreversible  and you'll need the media if you want to reinstall 8.1.

2.  If you're installing Win 7 64-bit, you can leave the system in UEFI mode.  32-bit requires legacy mode. In either case, you will need to disable secure boot to start the install AND will need to make a new Windows 7 install medium (flash drive or DVD) with the SATA drivers on it (the system is new enough that the Win7 or Win7-SP1 won't have the right storage drivers).

3.  You will need to find drivers for everything in the system before you start. Some 8 drivers may work - others will not, but Dell doesn't support 7 on this system so you're on your own there.

If it's the Windows 8 desktop shell you don't like, consider simply installing the free utility called Classic Shell.  It re-enables a Windows 7 desktop environment and essentially makes 8 work like 7, without the need to reload the OS.

Actually no it isn't recognised at all. The error message is as follows:  "USB Device Not Recognised", When I go in to Device Manager I find two USB error listings, Unknown USB Devise (Device Descriptor Request failed) & Unknown USB Devise (Port Reset Failed)

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

January 30th, 2015 08:00

If the cable has two USB connectors, try using both of them - if not, try attaching the drive to a powered USB hub. This error can arise when a drive doesn't receive enough power from the system.

January 30th, 2015 08:00

The device does have two cables as you describe. I will check that the power cable goes to the powered USB on the laptop. I didn't bother to check this before because I wouldn't have made the connection with not enough power issue.

Thank I will get back to you

January 30th, 2015 09:00

Ok , tried it again and making sure that the power cable was in the powered USB slot and the other USB was in the adjacent slot. It still doesn't acknowledge it. I tried it again on my old Latitude and it works fine with only the one cable connected.

No Events found!