Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 10th, 2017 07:00

Inspiron 15-7000, trouble with upload speed

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron 15 7000 Gaming and have had a few problems since. My main one at the moment is that my upload speed is pretty dismal, falling way below 1mbps (usually tests at 0 or just above), which barely allows me to upload photos let alone a video to youtube. I have contacted my internet provider who have said it is not a fault at their end, and I have tested all my devices including my Iphone and Ipad which both have upload speeds of 1mbps or over.

All my drivers are currently up to date as I regularly check for updates so I am currently at a loss of what I can do just so that I can upload a video. Also, whenever I try to upload something, my entire internet connection times out with the error message saying that the connection has been reset, and i have to restart the computer/power cycle the modem each time to get the connection back.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Tara

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 11th, 2017 04:00

Are you using the onboard RJ-45 Intel Realtek RTL8111H Ethernet LAN connected directly to the router or are you using the WiFi (Intel 3165/ Intel 8265/ Qualcomm DW1820) (Which one) ? If using WiFi, connect directly using the RJ-45 Ethernet jack and cable and re-test upload speed.

5 Posts

November 11th, 2017 05:00

Hi Chris,

Thanks for responding. I just tried connecting to my router directly via ethernet cable and the speed magically went up to 1mbps and I was ale to upload some photos. Would that then indicate that it's a problem with my drivers or wireless connection via the laptop?

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 13th, 2017 06:00

If you were previously using WiFi, then the culprit is either the WiFi driver, or the router WiFi settings. Have you tested other devices upload speed via WiFi? Which specific WiFi card is in your laptop?

5 Posts

November 13th, 2017 06:00

Yes my other devices have higher upload speed. Closer to 1mbps if not more. The wireless card is Intel (R) dual band wireless-AC 3165.  However when I go to update it it tells me there is none at the moment.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

November 14th, 2017 04:00

* Download and Save our OEM Intel AC 3165 driver to your desktop for future use
* Download and install the retail Intel AC 3165 driver from here. When done, restart the computer and retest

5 Posts

November 22nd, 2017 01:00

Hi Chris,

I have downloaded both and am unfortunately still experiencing the same problems. Is there anything further I can try?

December 19th, 2017 06:00

I'm getting the exact problem with my inspiron 15 7567 gaming.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 19th, 2017 09:00

Your download speed went UP to 1 Mbps?  Are you sure that wasn't supposed to be 1 Gbps?  Or maybe MBps, the capital B meaning BYTES rather than bits?  Even 1 MBps is very slow, though.  I do have a few suggestions, though:

- If you haven't already, update the BIOS.  Ordinarily I never would have considered the BIOS to be involved, but the Latitude 7480 got a BIOS update a few months ago that somehow addressed slow WiFi upload speeds, and I did notice a significant improvement immediately after updating to that release without changing anything else.

- If you're comfortable doing this, open your system and verify that the antenna connector is securely attached to the WiFi card itself.  There was a thread recently here about very weak WiFi signals from a system, and the cause turned out to be a loose antenna connector.  After fixing that, signal strength and throughput improved significantly.

- As Saltgrass mentioned, you could consider upgrading to a newer WiFi card.  802.11ac cards that use two antennas tend to perform much better, but before buying one, open up your system to see whether it even has a second antenna near the WiFi card available to be connected, otherwise there's no point buying a dual antenna card.  If it's there, it will probably have a plastic sleeve around its connector at the moment.  If you see a second antenna there that isn't currently being used, the next step is to determine whether your system uses mini-PCIe (aka Half Mini Card) or M.2/NGFF for its WiFi card slot.  If the former, the best card you can get with that connector is the Intel 7260 HMW (not the NGW version).  If it's the latter, you can get the newer Intel 8265.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 19th, 2017 09:00

Giancarlo2522, the OP has not responded, so not sure if he found a solution, but it doesn't look like it.

Have you checked your signal strength?  Does the upload speed present the same when uploading to another system on your local network?  Where are you getting the upload speed readings, the Task Manger

Have you checked the IP addresses for your network and the DNS to confirm they are correct?

The 3165 card is a 1x1 version and because of that, I upgraded mine when I first got my system.  But I do not know if that is related to your situation as far as upload speeds. The fact you connection is resetting while uploading points to some type of problem possibly related to data corruption during the upload.  I will assume your download speeds are correct since you have not mentioned that.

I you wanted, you could do a snipping tool picture of the Adapter's status which shows vital info.  It can be edited to remove parts of any info you consider private.  Please leave enough of any IP addresses so we can tell if they are close to correct.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 19th, 2017 11:00

802.11ac cards that use two antennas tend to perform much better, but before buying one, open up your system to see whether it even has a second antenna near the WiFi card available to be connected, otherwise there's no point buying a dual antenna card.

Since the wireless cards only have two antenna connections, I thought one of those was for the Bluetooth.  Am working under a misconception?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 20th, 2017 13:00

I have put my 7567 back to the Factory Configuration, including the 3165.  I am showing upload speeds of 1.4 Mbps just doing Windows Updates.

The antenna connectors on the card are not easy to seat correctly.  If they do not snap down, they may be just laying on the top of the connector.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

I suppose the situation is now, if the 3165 works OK on my system and I just got a 257 Mbps upload speed when I transferred a file to my NAS, that it may be a bad card, or bad connection (which you mentioned) or bad drivers.

There is a possibility, with such a circumstance, a new card would not help.

It should be noted, I have not gotten this system back to the current Windows 10 build and some drivers may still need updating.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Saltgrass, in addition to the above, I forgot to mention that you can always check the specs of a given 802.11ac card to find out how it works.  If it mentions support for even regular MIMO (it doesn't have to support MU-MIMO), then it uses more than one antenna for WiFi.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Saltgrass, 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz signals are close enough on harmonics that the same antenna length can work quite well for both frequencies, and Bluetooth like the older WiFi standards uses 2.4 GHz, so typically a card that supports both WiFi and Bluetooth will use both antennas for WiFi and one antenna for Bluetooth when it's active, since Bluetooth doesn't support multiple spatial streams to my knowledge.  I suppose there may be some cards out there that dedicate one antenna to WiFi and the other to Bluetooth, but this would seem quite wasteful.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Ok, I checked Intel's official product brief for the Intel 3165 AC.  It is a combo Bluetooth and 1x1 802.11ac card -- but it has 2 antenna connectors.  And the literature even says that this particular card dedicates one antenna to each and claims that it's more efficient as a result than other single-antenna cards that used one antenna for both.  Link: www.intel.com/.../dual-band-wireless-ac-3165-brief.pdf

However, this still means that you can get better WiFi performance by getting a card that can use 2 antennas for WiFi.  The good news is simply that your system definitely already has the required 2 antennas built into it, so this would be a simple and very inexpensive swap.

No Events found!