Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 26th, 2016 14:00

Inspiron 15 7559 - Static "hissing" noise coming from speakers

On my brand new Inspiron 15 7559, I've noticed that there is a static "hissing" noise coming from the speakers whenever I do something that involves audio (playing a movie/game/etc).

The hissing noise is especially noticeable when I mute the volume in Windows.

As soon as I close the video/browser/game that the audio is coming from, the hissing stops as well.

The noise also stops when I plug in a pair of headphones.

I've tried the latest audio drivers, as well as the generic Windows audio drivers and the Realtek HD Audio drivers from Realtek's site, and the hissing noise happens with all of them. I have also updated my BIOS to the latest version

Has anyone else encountered this? I'm beginning to think it might be a hardware problem and I'm leaning towards returning the laptop.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

March 28th, 2016 06:00

Hello. I don't recall seeing other posts about this same issue with the 7559, although there have been plenty of complaints about a pop noise with it which seems to be related to power management. See the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ for tips on that problem, but your symptoms are not of that issue.

If you don't hear the static through headphones then it would seem to be a speaker issue. I think you are on the right track in leaning toward sending it back.

7 Posts

April 11th, 2016 19:00

Update: I got a replacement unit and it has the same issue.

Right now as a workaround, I'm disabling "Realtek High Definition Audio" in the Device Manager when I need to mute the speakers as that will prevent any noise from coming out...

Very weird though, it is very faint (I either have to be in a very quiet room to hear it or have my ear right against the speakers) and I'm wondering how many people have this issue and just haven't noticed it.

The issue appears to be identical to those described in these threads:
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19674714
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3517/t/19677377

4 Posts

April 19th, 2016 17:00

I have a similar problem as well. Really faint and static noise comes from the speakers, but in my case it is not related to any media playing, rather it starts as the laptop is being booted. Re-installing audio drivers fixes the issue for a very little while. I have stopped caring about it nowadays (mostly since it is hard to hear unless a very quiet place) but it feels like the problem isn't consistent, sometimes there is simply no noise.

10 Posts

April 20th, 2016 16:00

I have the same model and it has a similar behaviour.

With Dell personalized Realtek drivers, the static sound appears when audio is playing. When you close the tab of youtube for example and audio gone, static sound gone. But if you stop audio without closing the tab, static sound lasts for 10 seconds (this is because audio chip power saving, the chip shut down in 10 seconds with no audio).

With native audio driver from Windows 10, there is no power management and the static sound is always there (with and without audio).

When you reinstall the Dell driver and you uninstall it, before rebooting there is no static sound, with and without audio.

Then it's a driver issue.

7 Posts

April 20th, 2016 22:00

Yeah, mine makes the sound when booting as well (when the Dell logo is showing), in addition to what I previously described.

7 Posts

April 20th, 2016 22:00

How did you get Windows to install the Windows native audio drivers? I've tried installing generic Realtek drivers (from the Realtek site) and it still makes the sound.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

April 23rd, 2016 05:00

How did you get Windows to install the Windows native audio drivers?

Hello. The two ways that I know of to install the native driver are:

Find the Realtek driver in Device Manager and right click on it. Select to uninstall the driver. Put a check in the option to remove the driver software for the device. Reboot, and Windows will install the native driver when unable to find the Realtek files. However if there was an additional (older) version of Realtek on the hard drive then Windows will install that one, so the process might have to be repeated.

The other method is to follow these steps:

1. Open the Device Manager (find it in the Control Panel, or type devmgmt.msc into the search box).
2. Expand the "Sound, video & game controllers" and right click on "Realtek High Definition Audio".
3. Select to "Update Driver Software".
4. Click on "Browse my computer for driver software".
5. Click "Let me pick from a list of drivers on my computer".
6. Put a check in the box "Show compatible hardware" if not already checked.
7. In the list of devices, click "High Definition Audio" (the native driver).
8. Click "Next".
9. On the Update Driver Warning box, click "Yes" (install the driver).
10. Restart the laptop if prompted. If not prompted, then no need to restart.
[To get back to the Realtek driver, do it again but reverse the names in steps 2 and 7.]

1 Message

July 21st, 2016 15:00

Thanks man! Now my computer WON'T STOP MAKING THE HISSING NOISE!!!! :D

WONDERFUL FIX 10/10

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

July 25th, 2016 05:00

WONDERFUL FIX

What did you do? I There aren't any "fixes" mentioned in this thread.

1 Message

July 30th, 2016 10:00

Hey Dave,

I'm encountering the same strange phenomenon. I just recently bought dell's brand new Inspiron 13 2 in 1. I Particularly notice this issue when the laptop is in sleep mode. Very unusual, I doubt exchanging it would make this better,  I feel this is just a software issue windows 10 needs to solve. Let me know if you could any solutions.

Hassan

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

August 1st, 2016 06:00

Let me know if you could any solutions.

Hello. I can't speak for Dave, but if you want to see the solutions that people have found for the Inspiron 7559, look in the Choppy/Skipping Audio FAQ. There is a section for that model.

Inspiron 13 2 in 1

However, solutions for one model do not necessarily work for a different model.

October 12th, 2016 15:00

Hello everyone I too was having the same issue with static on all audio on video/youtube/streaming movies I fixed mine and no longer have the issue DELL Tech support is USLESS! and its sad the people that are designed to know the pc in and out couldn't be further from the truth! So take the steps below and it should correct the issue!

1. Right click on your speaker icon on on the lower right handside of your tool bar at the bottom, select SOUND.

2. You should now be in the 1st tab called PLAYBACK, which will list your all your audio sources. Locate the one that says SPEAKERS/HEADPHONES right click on that one and look for PROPORTIES.

3. Click the ADVANCE TAB and select RESET TO DEFAULT, the click on the ENHANCMENTS tab make sure the SETTINGS is selected to NONE and make sure all the boxes are UNCHECKED you may need to select apply you may need to restart your computer and BOOM no more static! hope this helps guys :)

7 Posts

October 15th, 2016 13:00

unfortunately, that doesn't seem to solve the issue on my machine

2 Posts

October 16th, 2016 18:00

I have the same issue and this fix did not work for me either. As others have noted, I only have hissing when there is a program or window open that is producing sound. Seems to me this is a recent issue for me as I don't recall having this problem before this week. I have had my laptop about 3 months. If anyone has come across any new fixes let me know please!

October 19th, 2016 08:00

I have the same issue. Actually I'm from brazil, which makes me think the problem is the notebook.

I've tried all the solutions, but failed, updated the drivers, changed the version of my BIOS and for last, I swaped to Ubuntu, and the problem still is there.

No Events found!