Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2017 06:00

Inspiron 15 7559 help!! Need advice!

My laptop does not perform as expected. I switched from a vaio laptop with 2gb ram running windows 7. I was very happy to get an i7 with 8gigs of ram. But getting this laptop was a horrible experience. Its an i7 but still has lags and takes years to loads programs like atom or unity. High usage of Disk, RAM and CPU on idle. I suspect windows 10 to be the issue. I'm really desperate to get win 7 working on my laptop because i cant get my audio softwares working properly on win 10.
Please answer some of my questions:-
1) Will my warranty be discarded if i get win 7 working?

2) Any stability issues beacuse they say skylake is not supported by win 7?

3) Can anyone confirm the touch screen working?

4) I have a 4k model of the laptop. Will 4k be fine with win 7?

5) Are all drivers working fine that keyboard backlight, fn keys, dell audio, usb 3.0, sata etc.

6) Will my Win 10 Home OEM keys work to get windows 7 activated as Home edition or i have to purchase it online to get legit and unused win 7 (OEM) keys (i know some places to buy and i can spend money for win 7)?

5) Is the headache worth it? Will my PC perform better that it was on Win 10 at its full potential or i have to stick to windows 10 heartbroken?

And the last ones..lol

6) If i cant get win 7, can i get win 8.1 working and with a good performance compared to that on win 10.

Somebody please share a guide to follow to install windows 7 if you suggest installing windows 7.

Some points to ponder (in case that helps):
1) I have an access to motherboard of an Desktop with legacy win 7 installed (in case i have to get windows 7 installed by plugging out hdd from my 7559 and plugging it in the Desktop's MB (I don't prefer this BTW).

2) I have a legit DVD with unused keys. I couldn't use it because MS rolled win 10 update within the week of my purchase and i was lucky enough to not to use the DVD.

3) I'm on latest BIOS for this laptop.

4) Touch screen is not my priority, performance is. But i would love to have it working.

Thanks for sitting back and reading this post. Some questions might sound silly so ignore them. Any clue will earn one my best wishes. Anyone with win 7 working on this laptop or similar, please share your experience and your recommendations. I'm really baffled at this moment.

edit:

i have a legit Win 8.1 DVD with unused keys

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 13th, 2017 07:00

1) Will my warranty be discarded if i get win 7 working?

You won't have any support on the system for Windows 7 through Dell.

2) Any stability issues beacuse they say skylake is not supported by win 7?

Not necessarily, though you will see reduced battery runtime, since Windows 7 doesn't support the

Skylake power management features.

3) Can anyone confirm the touch screen working?

Windows 7 touch support is very much more limited than it is with WIndows 10.

4) I have a 4k model of the laptop. Will 4k be fine with win 7?

Yes, though there are two issues here:

One, if your system is running a conventional hard drive, that's one BIG bottleneck.  Two, ANY 4K system is going to run slower, particularly with the relatively limited GPU this system has.  You're FAR, FAR better off with an FHD screen on this level of system.

5) Are all drivers working fine that keyboard backlight, fn keys, dell audio, usb 3.0, sata etc.

Dell does have WIndows 7 drivers for this model.

6) Will my Win 10 Home OEM keys work to get windows 7 activated as Home edition or i have to purchase it online to get legit and unused win 7 (OEM) keys (i know some places to buy and i can spend money for win 7)?

No.  Only Windows 10 Pro carries downgrade rights.  Windows 10 (non-Pro) does not.

5) Is the headache worth it? Will my PC perform better that it was on Win 10 at its full potential or i have to stick to windows 10 heartbroken?

It's not likely that an OS change will speed things up.  See above -- the 4K screen is the biggest impediment, followed by the hard drive (assuming Windows is running from a hard drive and not a true, native solid state drive).

If the system is new enough (less than 21 days from shipment), your best option is to return it and order a model with a lower resolution FHD screen.  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

Windows 8.1 is not going to gain you anything relative to Windows 10.  If anything, Windows 10 is faster than 8 because it's been tightened up code-wise.

You have a mid-range system with a mid-range GPU that's OK for 4K movie watching - but not for running applications at 4K.  Even a high-end GPU like a 970GTX is challenged by driving a 4K screen (which is why most gamers don't use 4K screens).   No OS change is going to change that fact.

Thanks a lot for that quick reply. That cleared all my doubts regarding windows 7 on this laptop. So i've decided to move to windows 8.1. I suppose that would not be a problem if i give it a try. Thanks once again!

March 14th, 2017 01:00

Yea you are right. It's the display which is the cause. I can't get it replaced anyway!

March 22nd, 2017 14:00

We both use sshd. And one more thig

Update -2

My idle cpu speed shown by the task manager crosses 3.3 ghz

and his cpu speed at idle is 2.4x ghz or so.

hope this may help.

-edit:

I found out that my sshd should perform better.

Link:

http://hdd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Toshiba-Notebook-SSHD-25--1TB-vs-Seagate-Laptop-SSHD-25--1TB/1957vs1804Link: 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

is your operating system installed on the solid state drive, or the hard drive?

If you're running from the hard drive (which will be slower than from your friend's hybrid drive), that would explain much if not all of the difference.

--Update

Tried the same softwares on a friend's laptop. He has exactly the same model. Everything works perfectly on his laptop. I do some music and stuff. Tried playing some sample projects on fl studio. I got underuns and high cpu usage. Never had severe issues in my 2gb ram laptop. This really disappoints me. Now i tried to figure out what's the cause. We both have the same laptop i.e. the signature edition of dell 7559. One thing (that may help) is that he has a unit with seagate sshd installed but mine came with a toshiba ssd installed. And even in the support section for this laptop, i can see serial ata drivers for seagate and not for toshiba. So i don't know why but i feel cheated. I got this laptop from microsoft store online. Don't know whats wrong. Issues persist after another clean window information.(i lost all the oem info too). Now i have applied for warranty/ownership transfer to India(currently where i reside). I don't think i can get a replacement. This laptop did not meet my expectations. You buy an i7 with a handsome amount of ram and better hardware but still it can't perform. Now this all might sound unusal, having so many issues at a time. Trust me i'm not lying. Even my touchscreen fails after a lid reopen sometimes but my friends laptop is running fine and smooth. I wish everything gets solved.

March 22nd, 2017 15:00

An excerpt from a Wikipedia article on Hybrid drives says:-

The purpose of the SSD in a hybrid drive is to act as a cache for the data stored on the HDD, improving the overall performance by keeping copies of the most frequently used data on the faster SSD

So its not possible to install the os on 8gb nand flash present in the sshd. coz its used as cache memory.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 22nd, 2017 15:00

I have a feeling your system has a small SSD plus a conventional hard drive installed (check to see if two devices show in setup).  If that's the case, and your OS is installed on the hard drive, it's NOT going to be the same as in a system with a Seagate SSHD (which is a hard drive with a built-in solid state drive.

No Events found!