Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2017 13:00

Inspiron 15-7559 hinge fix

Hi.  I would like to know which parts I need in order to fix the well known hinge issue with the case breaking because of it.  My laptop is a little under 2yrs old. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 17th, 2017 14:00

You'll need to open up the system to see exactly what's broken -- guessing or basing on what someone else has done could easily result in either buying the wrong parts - or more or fewer parts than you need.

7 Posts

October 17th, 2017 14:00

once i open it up, how will i know which parts they are?  I'm pretty sure it's the parts where the hinge is mounted to.. i just don't know if that is the shell or a piece that mounts onto the shell.  I'll definitely need the shell as that's broken but I don't know what else is required to connect the hinge to it.

7 Posts

October 18th, 2017 06:00

What I'm asking is.. once I do have it apart, how will I know what the part is that is broken?  How do I find a part number for it?  Where are the parts listed that I can order from?  

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

If you don't think you'll be able to identify the broken parts (that's how you're making things sound) you may be better off taking the system to a repair shop.  Look for cracked or broken plastic, torn-out screw mounts and seized hinges -- and go from there.

All of these situations can be different - you may find broken parts on both the base AND the palmrest assembly - and on some models, even on the display bezel.  Wherever you find broken plastic or metal, the parts will need to be replaced.

There is usually a part label on the major assemblies (touchpad/palmrest, base plastic, bezel, etc.).  Parts-people.com is a good parts source for Dell systems.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

That's exactly why you need to open up the system to see exactly what's broken.  Chances are it's the system plastics -- but there could be other damaged parts.  You may have missing screws, or there may be other broken plastic parts in the system.

10 Posts

October 20th, 2017 18:00

Here is a video on how to replace the upper palm rest. It is usually the hinge mounts that crack. At 1.57 you will see the hinge screws circled in Red. that is where you look for cracked plastic. https://youtu.be/mHRHfXvMnkY

7 Posts

October 21st, 2017 08:00

thanks.  so I found a couple of the upper palm rest parts but it says it's not compatible with mine.. I have the red version.  shouldn't it still fit since it's still a 15-7559 and just a different color?

No Events found!