Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

June 22nd, 2017 20:00

Inspiron 15 7567 - HDMI to DVI-D outputs blank screen

I bought a HDMI (M) to DVI-D (F) adapter for an external monitor. The monitor only supports DVI-D or VGA hence the necessity for an adapter. I attached the cables and had set the "project screen" setting to "extend". Lo and behold, blank screen.

I have tried the adapter with other two desktops I have lying around and I can verify it is working. The laptop detects the monitor. It also noticed the DVI-D connection. In terms of actually outputting anything to the external monitor? No bueno. I really desire a second monitor for productive workloads.

Diagram: Laptop (HDMI) > HDMI to DVI-D adapter > DVI-D cable > Monitor (DVI-D)

Ehh, help?

532 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 06:00

Hi,

Welcome to our community.

You’ve reached the right department. We are here to assist you. With regards to the troubleshooting, please let us know if you tried connecting the system to a different Monitor. We’d appreciate if you can share the model of the monitor. Also, share the service tag/ express service code via private message, so that we can check for updated Video drivers available on our resources. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

The Service Tag is a 7-character code, and the Express Service Tag is a 10-digit code that is a numeric version of the Service Tag. Both codes are on the bottom of your laptop. You can also refer to this link which is a video that shows steps to find the service tag.

2 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 08:00

I tested with two monitors and still nothing is displayed. The two monitors are an Acer AL1717 and a HP w19b, both dated back in 2006. Both monitor and the adapter is verified working as I had tried the pair with a different system.

I have discovered connecting an audio cable from the laptop to the monitor in tandem with the video cable, the monitor's working. Both monitors came embedded with built-in speakers, and as expected, the sound quality is atrocious.

I need to somehow have the monitor working without the audio cable.

Thank you for responding. I will private message both tags.

532 Posts

June 23rd, 2017 09:00

Hi. Thank you for sharing the details. We've gone ahead and replied to your private message asking for the necessary details.

No Events found!