Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

December 2nd, 2017 14:00

Inspiron 15 7567 Video Playback issue

I have an Inspiron 15 7000 7567 with i7 1TB HHD+256GB SSD. 

I have been having the issues many people have been having and now I can't find a solution to my newest one. 

First, I had the grey lined screen appear from sleeping, which was solved with the BIOS update 1.2.0 and the new driver updates. 

Since then I have had numerous other random symptoms. First, the screen flickers a couple times when turning on. Second, when unplugged everything freaks out for a second and then returns to normal. By freaks out I mean that sound distorts and video freezes. Third, there have been one BSOD with the unexpected kernel mode trap and one unexpected restart with no explanation in the event viewer except Event 41. 

I contacted Dell support and they were less than helpful, turning off hardware acceleration in chrome and uninstalling and reinstalling graphic drivers. 

My largest problem though has only become noticeable since that call, which is that any video eats up a large portion of CPU and GPU relative to what is normal and the laptop starts to work very hard, heating up a little and making noise. I checked this with both Chrome and Mozilla Firefox and two different video sites.

I downloaded and installed the newest Intel graphics driver that just came out (22.20.16.4836 ,A05) and just checked to see if it solved the problem. It did not.

I am in contact with Dell support but they take forever. Does anyone have any suggestion or solution? Thanks in advance!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

Any chance you could give a clue as to what type of video or where to find one similar?  Are we talking about YouTube?

What resolution does your system have, the 4K?

I do not run Chrome but Mozilla is something I could check with.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2017 10:00

:emotion-2:

Jasonariel_ provided a possible solution(page 5) in the link below, hopefully it will be of help:

Dell Inspiron 15 7000 is turning off and restarting after ...

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 5th, 2017 07:00

Any updates manatee1442 ?

December 5th, 2017 16:00

I am watching youtube videos at 720-1080.

I reinstalled/repaired the suggested Drivers (I had installed the versions previously) and found that one of them had multiple components not working. I have turned my computer off and on several times now and it appears the flickering has stopped.

I believe the noise happening from videos has also decreased from what I can tell in the time after reinstalling. I believe potentially it was a combination of those drivers not installing and the need for the new Intel graphics driver which I had installed post BIOS update.

Thanks for the help! I will check in in the next couple days to post if everything still works.

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

December 6th, 2017 10:00

Glad to know the flickering has stop. Thanks for the update

December 9th, 2017 13:00

So update: it didn't stop the flickering. Now the flickering only happens once in an while.

Today I opened my computer, the screen turned on and it was black. Had to do a hard restart to get it to turn on.

This was the report given in the reliability history

Source

Windows

Summary

Hardware error

Date

‎2017-‎12-‎09 09:43 PM

Status

Not reported

Description

A problem with your hardware caused Windows to stop working correctly.

Problem signature

Problem Event Name: LiveKernelEvent

Code: 141

Parameter 1: ffff9f028ab32010

Parameter 2: fffff802898fc5d8

Parameter 3: 0

Parameter 4: 4

OS version: 10_0_16299

Service Pack: 0_0

Product: 768_1

OS Version: 10.0.16299.2.0.0.768.101

Locale ID: 2057

Any ideas what is the problem?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

December 9th, 2017 16:00

You might check the Windows\LiveKernelReports folder and see if it contains any dump files from the time of the problem.

If it does, put one or more on OneDrive and give us a link.

The Microsoft link below is for the Bugcheck code.  It is for programmers but gives a link to troubleshooting Blue Screen errors.

docs.microsoft.com/.../bug-check-0x141---video-engine-timeout-detected

No Events found!