Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 28th, 2017 23:00

Inspiron 15 7577 serious stutter on Windows 10 animations

Hello,

I bought the Inspiron 7577 (Full HD version) laptop yesterday and soon after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators I noticed serious lags and stutters on the GUI. Examples: moving the mouse and right-clicking on the desktop: the mouse freezes for a second and then reappears when the right-click menu shows. Or when you click on the battery indicator in the taskbar and try to move the mouse while the battery menu slides out - mouse freezes again until the menu shows. Or when I open the Settings menu and click on the System icon and try to move the mouse - same stutter. It also happens when you click on the Control Panel from search. Sometimes the windows themselves lag when being opened and animated.

I suspect it is an issue with the Integrated Graphics and the NVIDIA GPU switching. I have installed all the latest drivers from the Dell website. Also tried switching to the ones from Windows update and it still doesn't help.

Is there a resolution to this problem? Will switching to an earlier version of Windows 10 help?

My Dell configuration comes with i7, 16GB ram, 256 SSD + 1 TB and - I repeat - is the Full HD version.  

The laptop is unusable like this and If this issue is not resolved I will be returning it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

December 31st, 2017 11:00

After much searching, i believe i have found the answer.

The issue is caused by a bug with Nvidia Optimus technology (probably Intel's driver though) which causes certain actions to trigger rapid switching between the integrated and dedicated gpu. You can see the issue demonstrated here: www.youtube.com/watch.

The workaround is to always keep the dedicated gpu active (which basically defeats the purpose of Optimus technology). This app was made to implement that workaround until the real issue is actually fixed: github.com/.../TrayPwrD3.

The good news is that Intel is apparently looking into the problem and with any luck there may be a real fix soon. You can follow the Intel community thread where Bryce@Intel responded that they have started to debug the issue: communities.intel.com/.../119093.

3 Posts

November 29th, 2017 05:00

You're right in that it's related to Optimus, the Nvidia software that handles switching between the integrated gpu and the 1060. Until there's an update to fix it I've found turning off Transparency Effects and Animations in Windows to stop the stutter from happening.

November 30th, 2017 03:00

Thanks for the reply. Dell should really work with Intel and NVIDIA to resolve this issue. In that case I guess I'll be returning the laptop as I see a lot of people with Dell laptops have this issue and it hasn't been resolved for quite a while now. Great hardware is no use when you can't use it properly.

December 9th, 2017 08:00

December 9th, 2017 08:00

Thanks, I have a Inspiron 15 7577 on order and shipping keeps getting delayed, now I know why.

1 Message

December 25th, 2017 01:00

I'm having this same issue and CFox1 suggestion doesn't seem to help.

It is extremely frustrating, has there been any new solutions to this problem?

It's not just right clicking when I try and open Chrome there's a little stutter in the mouse, it becomes unresponsive for a second

December 27th, 2017 19:00

Hey,

I'm having the same problem too.

The mouse cursor stuck for 1 s whenever I start an app.

And CFox1 suggestion also does not help.

11 Posts

December 30th, 2017 14:00

Which version of the Nvidia driver are you using?  You should be on 388.71, which comes directly from Nvidia. Have you flashed the Dec 21st 2017 BIOS update from Dell?

If possible, try to connect to an external monitor and see if the problem persists. I am using an external monitor, which uses the Nvidia card exclusively, and have no stuttering. If I use an extended desktop with the built in screen, the Intel graphics kick in and then I get a very minor stutter. This only in specific scenarios (maximizing the Edge browser stutters), and when using the built in screen.

It would be great if we could disable the intel graphics entirely, but I haven't looked thoroughly into that quite yet.

December 31st, 2017 07:00

The laptop come with Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti.

I also has flashed the Dec 21st 2017 BIOS update.

Today, I start playing strategy game (Stronghold Crusader 2) which has auto save function.

When the save trigger, the game stuck for 1 second.

I know it saving as the game display "saving".

The game is installed on SSD drive of 237GB.

I think it is SSD which create the behavior.

It is super fast, booting up Windows 10 less than 7 seconds.

But I think during loading or saving large file, including for starting up an app, even though very fast in 1 second, halt the OS.

No Events found!