Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 15th, 2015 09:00

Inspiron 15 AC Adapter not recognized

Every few months, my Inspiron decides that it won't recognize its AC adapter.  It works for a few seconds after I unplug and replug it, then reverts to batter power (no error message).  When I go to the Boot menu, it says "AC Adapter Type: None", except, again, when I unplug and replug it, it reads "65W" briefly before reverting to "None."  

This has happen 4-5 times now (again, every few months) -- each time, I've left it alone for a day, then it's fine, having magically rediscovered or reaccepted the adapter.  I'm worried, though, that at some point it'll stop recovering, and it's also a huge hassle. (Each time it happens, I spend several hours trying to figure out if there's anything I can do -- uninstall updates? Update the BIOS? ??)

Any advice would be appreciated!  Thank you!

3 Posts

May 15th, 2015 15:00

I had that with my Inspiron i7.  Sent the machine to Dell, they replaced the motherboard.  Got the same message upon return.  Sent a picture of the error to Dell and they sent a new power cord and new battery.  So far, so good.  Unfortunately, still get a single, periodic beep that I am trying to diagnose.  It's not a startup beep, it just happens periodically throughout the day, even when the machine is muted.

332 Posts

May 15th, 2015 19:00

Hi Taol,

We will have to check the status of the adapter in BIOS; if the adapter is not detected properly the system will continue to receive power but will not charge the battery. Please follow the steps mentioned below to check if the adapter is detected properly.

• Start the computer by pressing the power button
  • Press the F2 key 2-3 times
  • you will now be on the BIOS screen
  • Under the Main Tab look for the option that says AC Adapter Type
  • If the Adapter Type says Unknown or None with the adapter plugged in.
  • Reconnect the adapter to the machine and if the status now shows as Unknown then the AC Adapter needs to be replaced.

Let us know your findings.

2 Posts

May 16th, 2015 04:00

Hello!  When I'm at the BIOS screen, it reads 'none' until I unplug and replug it -- then it briefly reads '65w' before reverting to 'none.'  It's not charging the battery while this is happening.  (By the way, as usual, it's working fine again this morning -- plugged in, charging.  I presume it'll be fine for another month or two, when this will happen yet again.) I never receive any error message associated with it, either?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

May 16th, 2015 04:00

First thing to try is a new OEM Dell AC adapter.

If that doesn't solve the problem, replace the DC jack (on most Inspiron 15 models it's replaceable).

If that doesn't solve the problem, the mainboard needs to be replaced.

No Events found!