Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 13th, 2017 03:00

Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 & External screen

Dear all,

I currently have an Inspiron 15 Gaming 7567 which I am trying to connect to an external screen I recently bought (Dell 2415H). I have attempted to connected this though HDMI port. For some reason, the screen remains blank (black). The resolution should be 1920 x 1080 at 60 Hz. In order to address the issue and after reading a few forums I have tried a few things:

1. Tried different HDMI cables although the screen came with one. I have also used the cable and laptop on a TV and works fine. However, the TV resolution works with a 1360 x 768 @ 60 hz.

2. I have connected the screen to different laptop (Samsung) through the HDMI and works fine.

3. I have updated drivers after completely uninstalling them (both Intel and Nvidia). The Nvidia Geforce drivers that I have at the moment are version 384.94 - see below.

4. I have played around with Nvidia's Setting panel. So the results are as follows:

1920 x 1080 @30Hz, progressive (custom setup): Display works but lots of blue pixels in black areas

1080p 1920 x 1080 @60Hz (native): no signal – blank screen;

1080i 1920 x 1080 @ 30Hz: lots of flickering;

Other resolutions mixed results.

The intention of course is to have an output of 1920 x 1080 @ 60Hz as that’s what both devices (screen and graphics card) are supposed to support.

To sum up the issue therefore seems to be that GTX1050 can't cope with 1920 x 1080 specifically @ 60Hz. Can you please confirm if that is a known issue and how it can please be resolved? The graphics card should be able to display this resolution so I assume it's a drivers issue?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Kind regards,

Mike

• 

16.7K Posts

August 14th, 2017 11:00

michailps,

Did you change the monitors input to HDMI using the On Screen Display Menu?

HDMI (MHL): Select the HDMI (MHL) input when you are using the HDMI connector. Use  the Menu Right button. to select the HDMI (MHL) input source.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 14th, 2017 11:00

A GTX 1050 can handle resolutions WAY beyond 1080p.  GPUs have been able to support 1080p @ 60 Hz going back at least to 2003.  Also, you do NOT want to use 1080i.  Many PC displays don't even support interlaced signals; use only progressive. If you're absolutely certain you've got the correct input selected on the display as Dell-Jesse L suggested, then I'm confused about why you're dealing with both Intel and NVIDIA drivers. If your laptop has both GPUs, then the display outputs will actually be wired to the Intel GPU, with the NVIDIA GPU serving as a render-only device generating completed video frames and pushing them to the Intel GPU for output to your display. In that case, the Intel Display Settings are where you should be looking.  If your laptop ONLY has an NVIDIA GPU, then yes technically you're in the right place, although driver-level tweaking shouldn't even be necessary. Have you tried just using the regular Windows Display Settings interface rather than getting bogged down in driver-level tweaks and custom resolutions?  What does the Windows interface indicate as the maximum allowed resolution for the display?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

August 15th, 2017 15:00

Interesting note about showing which GPU is managing the displays.  I do know that some Dell models that have both discrete GPUs and docking station connectors are sometimes designed so that the dGPU is always used to drive anything connected to the docking connectors, but I wasn't aware of that design being used for outputs built onto the systems themselves and I thought that design has been retired.  But I freely admit that my information may be wrong there.

But if Windows is detecting the presence of the HDMI display and is able to handle 1080p @ 24/30 Hz but not higher than that, I'm now wondering if this is a defective part, possibly a pixel clock on the GPU that isn't able to maintain the necessary bandwidth rate for 1080p @ 60 Hz. That would mean either replacing the GPU if it's a separate card internally or the entire motherboard if the GPU is soldered onto it, or if you just got this system I believe you will have the option of a full system exchange if you'd prefer, though that can take longer than an on-site service call if you have an on-site support contract.  Anyhow, 1080p @ 60 Hz should absolutely be plug and play, no need to fiddle with custom driver settings.

3 Posts

August 15th, 2017 15:00

Hi and thank you both for your replies.

Jesse – yes, I have indeed. As I mentioned the monitor does display but only under a specific set of display choices that I have to select manually. Worth mentioning maybe that when working at 60Hz (when the screen goes black) not even the screen menu will properly display.

jphughan – personally I don’t want to use 1080i, I am actually trying to use what in the screenshot is marked as “native” (i.e. 1080p 1920 x 1080, 60Hz) but when I do that the screen just blacks out. You raise a good point about Intel and Nvidia. The place that I can change is display settings associated with the external screen is the Nvidia control panel. The “Intel Graphics settings” as it is called just doesn’t “see” an external monitor. And to answer your question the computer has both an Intel 630 and Nvidia GTX 1050 GPU. The windows display settings mirrors what I get from the Nvidia control panel so goes up to 1920 x 1080 (although it makes no specific reference to 1080i/p). But again, if I change the refresh rate to 60Hz it just blacks the monitor out. Point that might be of interest – when I am just working on the laptop the advanced options show the Intel 630 managing the laptop screen, when I plug the screen it shows the Intel GPU managing the laptop screen and the Nvidia managing the external screen (i.e. HDMI). Not sure if that’s normal but I have double checked and that seems to be the allocation.

Final point - if I choose to display to the second screen only (F8 function) the screen goes automatically black so I can't play with settings - I can only do that as a shared or mirrored screen.

Any additional insights are welcome.

Thanks guys.

3 Posts

August 16th, 2017 13:00

Thanks for the response. I attach two screenshots that show that each GPU seems to be handling a different display. I am pretty sure that the issue is focused around the card now (software or hardware I don't know) as I have used the screen with a PS3 and works just fine. And of course I agree 1080p @60hz should be straight out of the box.

Anyway I will contact technical support and see what happens. 

No Events found!