Highlighted
SEaston74
1 Copper

Inspiron 15, N5010 cleared for take-off

Hi,

My Inspiron 15 (N5010) is very noisy when playing graphics-heavy games such as BubbleWitch and/or Farmville2 on Facebook.  The fan spins to top speed and it makes hearing anything or anyone else over it very difficult.

I've bought a laptop cooler which I sit the Dell on, but this has not helped. I've also ensure my fan and vent are clear of any dust and removed the material grill stickers from the inside of the vent holes on the underneath of the laptop to provide a little more air flow.

I've also defragmented the hard drive and stopped all unnucesary running/auto-starting process.

Can anyone please suggest any other ways of cooling this system down in order to reduce the fan noise? Presumably it's not possible to replace the graphics components to one which will not get quite so hot ?

Many thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: Inspiron 15, N5010 cleared for take-off

Hi,

Fans can produce loud or abnormal sound due to the reasons mentioned below:

1. Out of date BIOS
2. Obstructions in the fan or vent area
3. Physical Damage
4. Dust accumulation in the fan or vent area
5. Using near a heat source or in a hot environment

Please update the BIOS by clicking the link mentioned below which will take you to the drivers website: http://dell.to/Qnizfs

Enter the Service Tag of the computer and choose the Operating System installed on the computer.

You can also refer to Dell Article 428053 on www.support.dell.com by clicking the link mentioned below:

http://dell.to/Lm3tjd

Please reply for further assistance.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos
SEaston74
1 Copper

Thank you for your reply but the BIOS had already been updated to the latest version: A15. Also, as mentioned aboved, the fan and vents have already been cleaned. There are no obstructiosn, there is no damage and the noise is simply due to the spin speed of the fan itself.

Is there any way of reducing the fan spin speed ?

Thanks

0 Kudos

Hi,

It seems to be an issue with the heat sink and fan, would suggest you to replace the same along with the thermal paste.

Note: It is recommended that the replacement must be done by a professional only.

I would not recommend you to reduce the fan speed as it may cause more hardware issues. In case the system is under warranty, send me the Service Tag and name listed on the account in Private Message so that I can check for further course of action.

Thanks & Regards
Manshu S
#iworkfordell

0 Kudos