Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 30th, 2014 12:00

Inspiron 15 laptop series 3542 faulty touchpad issue

New Dell laptop arrived with a faulty touchpad.  What a disappointment.  A cursory search for this issue reveals that it has been known to Dell for some years.  How disappointing that Dell continues to accept customer money for a product it knows is faulty.  About one third of the touchpad on the right side was delivered in an unusable condition, and was actually noticeably raised up by a few millimeters.  If you pushed down very hard on that side, you could get it to register your cursor.  I returned one new Dell a few weeks ago that had this problem, thinking it was an anomaly - so also am quite annoyed at the downtime involved in going through what should be a simple process to just buy a decent computer.  Am stuck with this thing right now because cannot afford additional downtime to deal with getting yet ANOTHER replacement and reloading programs, transferring Outlook, etc. 

Note:  It appears that after about 10 days of use, the raised right side almost has receded down level with the left side BUT STILL DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.  If it isn't fully operational before I get a break in work flow, back it goes... and even then, will be rethinking my longstanding business relationship with Dell next time we need new hardware.  Have bought 2 HP laptops as gifts for people which are very impressive - wish now I'd gone that route for the office as well.

3 Posts

September 1st, 2015 10:00

Well, you made my day.  Thanks, Jimmy, and just so you know: the one they shipped back from their highest VIP-level of customer service has the same faulty touchpad.  I just had to learn to use only the left side of the stupid thing..... can't take anymore down time on this issue.  But, yeah, post away..... wish I'd documented the whole thing for Youtube!

1 Message

July 31st, 2014 08:00

Wow, luckily Dell just gave me the authorization to return for a full refund.

I had the added problem that due to my order status not updating properly in the system, my 'support tag' was never activated.   Thus, Tech Support refused to talk to me.   Getting me transferred to Customer Care as quickly as possible even when that department was closed...   Like a broken process at Dell is a good reason to blow off a customer?

They sell a commodity product, and they sell a lot of them.   Even with razer thin margins, the fact that I will never buy from Dell again, and neither will anyone who listens to me will carry the impact of an ant trying to trip an elephant.

3 Posts

July 31st, 2014 14:00

When I shipped the thing back to Dell tech depot for repair last week, I also sent a letter to every single person at the VP and higher level at Dell, including Michael Dell, to cover my bases.  They emailed me that they were sorry, blah, blah, but when the laptop arrived back today just as broken as when it left here, I had someone to reach out to.  Which I did.  Loudly.

They're shipping me a new computer.  As a side note, the tech depot hadn't even bothered to complete the form they included with the returned computer which is supposed to state what they "repaired".  I think they just hit the touchpad with a hammer, threw it back in the same shipping box and flipped it back to me.

We'll see what kind of quality they replace it with.  Wish they could replace the time they've wasted.

1 Message

August 31st, 2015 14:00

I want you to know that I am going to post this to my Facebook. The poor customer service along with knowing about the touchpad issues for years and not only not fixing the issue, but continuing to sell them (potentially tens of thousands? More maybe?) with the known defect, combined with the power of social media will hopefully make a difference. Poor companies should fail, regardless of how big they are.

2 Posts

July 11th, 2017 06:00

my laptop keyboard is not working

No Events found!