thomaspressel
1 Copper

Inspiron 1501 Prozessor upgrade

Hi guys, i  bought a new turon 64x2 Processor for my inpiron 1501 to increase the speed. When i install this processor and start the laptop it only beeps for 6 times and nothing else happended. I have no display, i mean the monitor don´t react in any way. i flashed the bios with the last version but itr wont help. What can i do or where is my mistake??

0 Kudos
27 Replies
9 Rhodium

Re: Inspiron 1501 Prozessor upgrade

If the original CPU works but the new one doesn't, the overwhelming odds are that the one you're trying to install is not supported.  AMD has used many different core designs on the mobile Turions - not all will be supported by the 1501.

0 Kudos
marcvill
1 Copper

I have successfully have installed a AMD Turion 64 x2 TL-56 into my 1501 with no problems. The BIOS version is A14 or 2.6.2. The processor you have may too high of voltage requirements to work in the laptop. Or the motherboard just doesn't support it.  I am researching this some more as I am looking to upgrade another laptop from the Sempron to a Turion.

0 Kudos
Holybaboon
1 Nickel

Could I use Turion 64 x2 TL-68 to change from a Sempron on my Inspiron 1501? Does your Inspiron 1501 work well with the TL-56?  Thanks.

0 Kudos
marcvill
1 Copper

My Inspiron 1501 runs great on with the TL-56. I have not had any problems with it in the 3 years I have had the upgrade. It runs even better if you are looking to install Windows 7. Too bad I only had an eval copy, but man did that machine run great. It was really astonishing how poorly Vista ran on the same hardware.

As for the TL-68, I can't say. I can only speak for the TL-56. The TL-68 does require 35 watts compared to the 31 watts the TL-56 uses. The highest processor running on 31 watts in that class is the TL-60. My suggestion to you would get a TL-60. I believe the 68 will not work due to the wattage difference

Marc V. 

0 Kudos
Holybaboon
1 Nickel

Thanks a million!

0 Kudos
Holybaboon
1 Nickel

By the way, are you using 64bit or 32bit of Windows7? Thanks.

0 Kudos
martianent
1 Nickel

I contacted Dell support years ago about this.  I was told that the biggest processor I could use in the 1501 I'm currently posting this on is the TL-66. I've been running a TL-64 for 2 years now.  She's a little warmer, but it's manageable.  As for the TL-68, I'd like to try it, but I've read that it uses a different protocol (similar to the Celeron using a PGA-370 or an FC-PGA 370 port, you can't use an FC-PGA 1.2 GHz Celeron in a PGA-370 port)...  It'll probably fit, but it won't work.

0 Kudos
Holybaboon
1 Nickel

Hi martianen:

Thank you for your reply.  TL64 is fast with a cheap price in this family of TL cpus.  I just installed TL-68 on my inspiron 1501.  Overall it works fine.  Now I can run Win7 smoothly with it. 

0 Kudos
ICMike5
1 Nickel

Could you guys post the EXACT model # of thise cpu's?  I attempted to upgrade my 1501 from a amd turion 64 x2 tl-50 to a amd turion 64 x2 tl64 (TMDTL64HAX5CT) It does NOT work.

I was using this link as a guide...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_AMD_Turion_microprocessors#Turion_64

0 Kudos