Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

X

January 18th, 2014 00:00

Inspiron 1501 - video failure, now won't POST

A while back, my mother started complaining that her Inspiron 1501 would no longer send video to her external monitor, and asked me to check it. Before I could get to it, the laptop's LCD also stopped showing anything, but she said she could still hear it boot into Windows.

Now it's not even reaching the initial POST -- hitting the power button causes the power icon to light up, fan spins briefly, hard drive seems to be on (but inactive), and the optical drive makes a momentary sound...and then it just sits there in total silence.  Tapping the power button again turns it off instantly.

So far, I've tried these without getting any results:

• booting after it has been plugged in for 12 hours
  • booting without the battery
  • holding down the power button
  • removing the hard drive before booting
  • booting after it spent 20 min. unplugged without the battery
  • booting while holding Fn down
  • booting while holding keys that usually go into other systems' BIOS (delete, F8, etc.)
  • removing both memory sticks then booting
  • starting with a Linux live CD, then with a Linux liveUSB plugged in
  • combinations of the above

I'm not used to working with Dell systems, so I'm going by what has worked on other laptops and ideas I've found on various sites/forums, but at this point I'm at a loss.  Does anybody have any ideas for what to try next, or what could possibly have gone bad on it?

4 Operator

• 

2.5K Posts

January 20th, 2014 15:00

Hi xyzzymage,

This seems to be an issue with the motherboard; Depending on the warranty status we can help you further, please use the link below to check the warranty status.

http://dell.to/YeuzUO

Please punch in the system service tag or express service code. In case your system warranty has expired please contact the Out of Warranty department 1-800-288-4410 (U.S.Customer only). In case your system is under warranty please send me the system service tag or express service code through a private chat, so that I can help you further. 

Click on my username select start conversation and send me the details. 

No Events found!