Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

C

October 22nd, 2008 02:00

Inspiron 1505 Laptop LCD monitor blacks out when power cord attached, but not on battery

My son's 2 year old Inspiron 1505 laptop's LCD monitor has just started blacking out when he attaches the power cord, but when running on the battery it works fine.  I had him run the diagnostics, and he's getting the  1000-0333 error as he can't see the monitor to respond to any prompts.   When he runs the diagnostics when on battery, no problems are reported.

Does this indicate the LCD panel is going bad and that I need to replace the whole panel?

Thanks in advance for any input.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

October 22nd, 2008 10:00

Is there an image on an external monitor?

If there is, from the symptom, the mainboard is the faulty part - not the display.

October 22nd, 2008 23:00

Unfortunately, he doesn't have an external monitor available to test with.   I told him to go to his campus technical support center to see if he could borrow one to test with.

When he was running the diagnostics, he said he could actually see messages on the monitor, but it was just extremely dark and unreadable for the most part.   I know when he plugs the power cord in, the LCD is running in a different mode than just on the battery...  That's why I was thinking the LCD panel.

I had an old laptop that seemed to do the same thing, and it was just the backlight.

4.2K Posts

October 26th, 2008 00:00

Hi,

It sounds to me like the backlight is failing. Most run brighter on mains, and going from battery may be more than it can cope with. Set the brightness as low as you can and see what happens.

Regards Chris

October 26th, 2008 16:00

He still hasn't had a chance to test with an external monitor, but we did test the brightness setting, and he is able to get the display to work with the power cord at a lower setting.     Starting from the lowest setting, he can go up until about the 6th time  before it goes black.  Then he needs to close the lid so it goes into hibernate and re-wake it at the lower power setting before it works again.

I've ordered a backlight replacement so hopefully that will work. 

Thanks...

No Events found!