Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

September 7th, 2009 11:00

Inspiron 1520 - LCD issues

So my Dell Inspiron 1520 just recently began acting funny.

When I boot my computer the screen begins to flicker rapidly until eventually the lcd goes out and you can't see unless you hold a flashlight up to the screen.. The longer I leave it on the bottom right of my screen gets very, very hot and begins to smell like something is burning. Also, where the laptop becomes very hot the screen slowly begins to black out on the bottom right (pictures show).

What do you guys think? :(

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2009 16:00

It's most likely a faulty inverter.

3 Posts

September 7th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the quick response :)

What do you suggest?

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

September 7th, 2009 17:00

Have a qualified shop check the input and output voltage to the inverter - if it's just that, it'll cost about $25 for the part plus labor to install.  If it's a mainboard problem, it could cost significantly more to repair.

It looks like the display has been damaged by the heat as well - that will be expensive to replace.

3 Posts

September 8th, 2009 12:00

I'm considering purchasing an inverter on ebay for a reasonable price and replacing it myself, which doesn't seem entirely difficult. The black on the bottom right of my screen isn't permanent and only shows up after the computer has been on for a long period of time and is caused by the heat. The laptop begins to heat after being on for about 10 minutes and starts turning black after about 20 minutes. Do you think the inverter is causing this?

1 Message

October 2nd, 2010 10:00

hello Rocco0891, i would like to know how you resolved your problem beacuse i have the same display issue, the hot zone and the dark spot in the same place...I hope you read this message and can tell me your experience..

Thanks in advance!

No Events found!