mschutz
1 Copper

Inspiron 1520 Line-In not working

Hi,

I have an Inspiron 1520 with Vista 32-bit. I am having problems with the Mic/Line-in jack input.

When I plug in a Dual-RCA to stereo-mini plug in the jack, I get the pop-up asking me to choose Mic/Line-In. I choose Line-In. In the Sound properties box, Recording Tab, it shows the Mic/Line In as working and selected as default (I also have the Mic Array from the built-in webcam).

The problem is that there's no audio signal coming into the line-in jack (in the little meter showing right in the Sound Properties box - the Mic Array one works fine). When I try to record something in Audition (multiple versions - have also tried Audacity), it doesn't recognize the input. If the Mic Array is enabled, it simply uses that one. If I disable the Mic Array, Audition gives me an error message "Recording Input not activated. Recording is not possible". This happens even when the rest of the computer (in Sound Properties) is telling me the input is working fine.

(I should say I also have an M-Audio FW410 which I normally use, but I can't lug it around all the time. So the drivers for that are installed.)

I'm guessing it's a driver issue, but even the driver page tells me it's working properly. (The driver version of the SingmaTel HD codec is 6.10.0.5511, dated 5/6/2007.)

I've enabled the MonitorInput as suggested in the FAQ, but that hasn't helped this issue.

Anyone have any suggestions for me, or specific driver updates to point me to?

Thanks in advance,
Michael.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Drummerkev
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1520 Line-In not working

Did you have any answer.... because I have the exact same problem...

Thank You

Kevin

0 Kudos
Jim Coates
5 Osmium

Re: Inspiron 1520 Line-In not working

See if this helps. It is a tip left by someone with a 1420.

Go to Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Manage Audio Devices > Recording (tab) > right click in recording and select Show Disabled Devices > click on the (now shown) External Mic and click Enable > set External Mic as Default

Jim Coates -- 15 years on the Dell Laptop Audio boards -- since 2/6/04 

0 Kudos