Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

April 24th, 2011 01:00

Inspiron 1520 Screen Very Dim

Hi all,

I'm hoping to get some help with an issue that I've seen posted about the internet, but with no satisfactory solution given anywhere.

The LCD screen (WSXGA+) on my Inspiron 1520 one day suddenly just became extraordinarily dim (about 5% ordinary brightness).  If I have a white window with text, the one way I can read is by shining a flashlight on small portions of the screen.  It is worth noting that consistently whenever the screen refreshes (ie, booting up, or coming out of suspension, etc), the screen is normally bright (though reddish) for 1/2 second before going dim.  However, attaching an external monitor works perfectly fine, which indicates that it is probably not the video card or BIOS.  

Everything I've seen online seems to indicate that it is either the inverter or backlight that has failed...but I have not seen a solid indication one way or the other.  So my question is whether it is possible to replace any components easily enough, or if its simply possible to purchase a new LCD screen (w/inverter or backlight attached) to solve the problem.  Or if there are any other know fixes.

For reference, this topic had a very similar issue, with no resolution: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19243199/19374522.aspx#19374522

Thanks very much for any help!

5 Posts

April 28th, 2011 10:00

Hi Bhajun;    Don't know if this will help you, but my Inspiron 1526 had a similar problem - really dim screen.   But when I plugged it into wall socket it resolved the problem.    :emotion-1:

2 Posts

April 28th, 2011 12:00

Thanks JLEA, but I keep my computer plugged in practically all of the time.  I have tried experimenting with plugging/unplugging and removing the battery and such, though, as that was a common problem I've seen.  

Update: Today when I booted up without the external monitor, the screen was at its normal brightness (though red) for ~30 seconds before switching off, as opposed to the usual ~1 second delay.  

Thanks.

No Events found!