Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

25 Posts

January 4th, 2008 12:00

Inspiron 1520 TouchPad Troubles :\ Please Help!

I have an Inspiron 1520 with Vista Home Premium.  I know this sounds crazy, but if my laptop is left on for more than 5 hours my touchpad goes beserk!  I have minimal control over it, and when I try to close out of different windows it will get stuck between minimizing & maximizing them.  If i minimize a window and try to bring it back up from the task bar, it will get stuck trying to do both maximize & minimize intermittenly.  Does anyone know of a possible solution for this? Or should I just contact Dell and have the laptop replaced. I have owned it for about 3 weeks now.

Thanks for any help you might provide,

Rick

5 Posts

February 10th, 2008 17:00

Has anyone received their replacement AC adapter and found any issues with it?  My Vostro 1500 touchpad problem was resolved with the new adapter, but now it seems to have trouble recognizing the adapter.  Whenever I plug in the adapter, I get this message:  "The AC adapter type cannot be determined.  Your system will operate slower and the battery will not charge.  Please connect a Dell 90W AC adapter or higher for best system operation."  If I reboot with it plugged in, I get a similar message before XP starts and I'm asked whether to continue or not.  The laptop shows that it's running on AC power, so it does work, but it doesn't indicate that it's charging the battery.  If I plug in an older 90W adapter that came with my Latitude, it works fine every time.  Both are 90W Lite-On adapters with the same model number; however, the replacement adapter is rev A00 and, interestingly enough, the older adapter is rev A02.

26 Posts

February 10th, 2008 20:00

Here is the link of my new and old adapters again. http://www.flickr.com/groups/647962@N21/

Sounds like everyone is getting the A04 sent to them. Weird you got something else.

5 Posts

February 10th, 2008 20:00

Would you mind telling me the serial number from the white bar code label on the A04 adapter?  Thanks.

February 10th, 2008 21:00

Yeah, my A04 is working fine.

February 19th, 2008 14:00

Ordered my Vostro 1500 on 2/11 and sure enough it has the same problem :(  Kind of frustrating after spending that kind of cash on something.  I hope I can get this resolved quickly.  Other than the crazy Touchpad I love this laptop.

2 Posts

February 19th, 2008 17:00

Thanks to Bill at Dell, my new power supply is on the way.

BIG THANKS, GUY!!!!!

February 19th, 2008 17:00

My friend Glenn just bought a new Vostro, and got the A00 with it.  I'll have him PM Bill with his service tag so he can get the A04.  Or if he can't figure it out, I'll PM you his service tag # and shipping info.

26 Posts

February 19th, 2008 22:00

Wow, you ordered 2-11 and you have it already! I think it took 3 weeks to get mine.

I cant believe they are still sending out the bad power supplies.

February 20th, 2008 00:00

My friend I spoke about earlier...he got his Vostro in 2 or 3 business days!  I had to wait a month, but I ordered during the holidays :(  Ah well!  And he was able to get an extra 40gb hard drive space, as well as an extra gig of ram.  I've already upgraded my ram since then, but let this be a lesson - you always get a better deal if you can be patient and wait longer.  Technology just moves to fast, and prices always decrease like this.  I was just past the 30 day money back guarantee, so I didn't bother trying to contact support.

February 20th, 2008 20:00

I received revision A04 one day after DELL-Bill B sent it out and everything is working great. I am pretty sure DELL-Bill B should get a raise for how easy he made this processes. I have never ever been able to resolve anything like this with a simple PM. I hope it works out for everyone else.

In response to the person a couple posts up;
I cannot believe how fast I got my system. Ordered on a Monday and received the following Monday using standard 3-5 day shipping which was free as a promotion. Believe me it was still the longest week ever :)

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 20th, 2008 21:00

. I am pretty sure DELL-Bill B should get a raise

Thanks, topper12345. That's some feedback I will be sure to pass along. :smileywink:

Seriously though, I'm just glad to help out, and thank you for your patience.

Message Edited by DELL-Bill B on 02-20-2008 05:08 PM

26 Posts

February 21st, 2008 00:00

I agree, Bill has been very helpful. Give him a raise!

Message Edited by djkothbauer on 02-21-2008 08:51 AM

2 Posts

February 21st, 2008 00:00

Got mine today, Bill.  I second the raise!  All in favor?

February 21st, 2008 11:00

I third that!  Bill deserves something...if not a raise, at least a $100 Dell gift card :)

2 Posts

February 22nd, 2008 02:00

I have a Inspiron 9100 with the exact same problem. The mouse goes nuts. What I can say is if I leave the computor on for a couple of hours the mouse pad will behave most of the time. Using an USB mouse is no better.  Withou reading the unbielable amount of post to this problem, what is the solution?

No Events found!