Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 27th, 2009 14:00

Inspiron 1520 multiple issues

The first problem that bothers me the most is the swing that the LCD panel aquired over time - it might be a problem involving the hinges i believe. Can this be fixed at any service (not necessarily a Dell authorized one)? If so, will it affect my warranty if I don't fix it in a Dell authorized service? This is a problem that previous Inspiron 15XX had and I don't know why it still exists with the new model..

The second problem involves the AC Adapter. Sometimes, when I turn the laptop on I receive a message prior to the OS booting saying that the AC Adapter I am using is not a Dell Certified Adapter and is not working at the normal power rate needed for the computer and advises me to run a series of tests (although I haven't seen anything involving the AC Adapter among them) which turn out perfectly. Sometimes disconnecting and reconnecting the adapter makes the error disappear, but in some cases I need to repeat the operation 3 or 4 times.

The third issue is that my laptop did not come with Dell Mediadirect installed and I wish to know if and how could I install it.

The fourth and last one is that i bought a Dell Travel Remote for my inspiron, it works perfectly, but I wanted to know if there is any OSD driver for the remote.

I probably also need to mention that I am running XP PRO SP2 on the following configuration:

INSPIRON 1520 N-SERIES CORE 2 DUO T7300

15.4" ULTRASHARP WIDESCREEN WSXGA+ (1680

MEMORY DUAL-CHANNEL 2048MB (2X1024) 667M

HARD DRIVE 160GB SERIAL ATA (7200RPM)

FIXED INTERNAL 8X DVD+/- RW DRIVE - N-SE

AC ADAPTER 90W - PRIMARY 9-CELL 85WHR LI-ION BATTERY

NVIDIA? GEFORCE GO 8600M GT WITH 256MB

March 27th, 2009 17:00

Hi,

I'd strongly suggest to have Dell support fix the issues with your hinges and the PSU. Additionally, you can have a look into the service manual to see what can be done with the hinges. The service manual is available on Dell support website (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/vos1500/en/index.htm).

As for Media Direct - did you get a separate Media Direct installation disc? Normally, there is also a manual included. If you did not get the MD software disc, just forget it.

You may have a look at this article I found on Dell support website searching for Media Direct Installation: http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=3082DAC1D7384CD5E040A68F5B2814A2&doclang=en&cs=

Michael

5.2K Posts

March 27th, 2009 17:00

It might be possible to tighten the hinges; check the Manual. If you are still under warranty, call Dell. If not, it's easy to disassemble to the hinge area and see what can be done.

Problems with the power brick are either the brick itself or the DC socket on the laptop. First check the brick with another laptop that uses the same adaptor. If OK, then the socket may have bad solder connections, and need to be replaced. Again, if under warranty call Dell, If not, unfortunately the E1520 does not have a separate DC power board, so the entire system board will need to be replaced, an expensive proposition.

The DC socket becomes faulty because stress on the DC cord plug eventually breaks one or more solder connections on the system board. It is possible to clean and resolder the connection(s), but this is not trivial, and should be done by an expert technician. While the unit will function as is does currently for a while, it will eventually fail entirely.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 29th, 2009 16:00

If the system is under warranty, Dell must repair it.  The hinge assembly can be replaced.

The problem with the power adapter may be the adapter - they'll try that first - and if it isn't fixed with a new adapter, they'll replace the system board.

2 Posts

March 29th, 2009 16:00

Well, I took a look at the hinges and was able to see that the swing does not come from the hinges themselves, but from the screws that connect the hinges to the chasis.. :(  Unfortunately I'll have to have it serviced once i get home, as i dont't want any unpleasant surprises. All my work evolves around a laptop, so I'll have to use another one while it's gone.. I did't expect this to happen after 1 year and six months of use, especially when I paid the $2500 bill for it.. :(

I'll tell them to have a look at the power board as well, they'll be in the same area when fixing the hinges..  Thanks for the help to both of you

No Events found!