Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2012 08:00

Inspiron 1520, replacing motherboard

Hello

My Inspiron 1520 just died a few days ago. I did the tests to know what  part is failing and I'm pretty sure that the problem is in the motherboard. The laptop garanty is expired, so I want to replace the motherboard by myself. I think i would have no problems in replace the piece, the thing is that I'm not sure if I will need some software to switch on the computer. Is it necessary to flash the bios? I have not the CD's that came with the laptop, so I dont know if I can use a bios flash-cd made by myself (I read some tutorials about it and I can do it, but I dont know if it will work).

I mean, if I replace the motherboard, and the rest of pieces work correctly (I have xp and suse installed on the hard drive), will the computer run without any aditional task? or must I flash the bios before the laptop can start?

Thank you very much.

1.8K Posts

November 28th, 2012 02:00

Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. It appears to be an issue with the memory slot (motherboard) of your computer and need replacement. You need not to flash the bios from CD. You can simply update the BIOS of your computer. Please make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

I have added you as a friend. Please accept my friend request by clicking on my name highlighted in blue and then click on “Friends” tab at the top and then click on “Request to Review” and finally click on “Accept” button.

I am sending you a private message as well. Click on “Inbox” to respond to the message and provide system’s Service Tag and contact details so I may access your system records and check for further course of action. You could also click on Start Conversation to send a private message.

Please reply with findings. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2012 12:00

If it's blink - blink - solid green without the memory, that's a video card failure.

I suspect your mainboard was fine and it's the video card that is bad.

1.8K Posts

November 26th, 2012 23:00

Hi Dudo22,

Could you please let me know the issue that you are facing with the computer.

Motherboard of the computer is not a customer replaceable unit and requires lot of technical expertise. However if you are comfortable replacing the system board of your computer, you can refer to the link: ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1520_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

Copy and paste the above link in address bar of browser to get detailed instructions on replacing system board of computer. You would not need any application to start your computer however it is recommended (not mandate) to update the BIOS of computer before start.

Note: Make sure the ac adapter is connected and the battery is charged 10% or above to update the BIOS. Also, disconnect all the external peripherals before updating the BIOS. All the programs should be closed and documents saved. 

Please reply with findings. 

14 Posts

November 27th, 2012 05:00

Oh I forgot to report the problem.

The computer just died a few days ago, I got a blue screen telling me that there was a hardware problem. After that, the PC didnt start, I press the start button and the screen does nothing. I removed the hard drive, the CD device and the RAM cards and started pressing fn: the lights code was: light + blink + blink. After that I started the laptop with each memory in each RAM place and with both RAM's and the code was: light + light + light (2 seconds and then the lights turned of). That indicated that there was a problem with the memories, so I used my memory cards on other computer and they worked perfectly, and my computer didnt change his behaviour with another rams (that worked fine on other lapton). So I think all of this indicates that the problem is in the motherboard. Is this correct?

14 Posts

November 27th, 2012 05:00

ok, thank you very much.

So, if the computer can start, I would be able to update the bios in windows enviroment, right? no need the bios flash cd.

14 Posts

November 28th, 2012 05:00

Ok, thank you very much

14 Posts

December 10th, 2012 11:00

Hello again,

I didn't replace my motherboard yet. I'm having some issues with the new piece that I have to buy. I have read that this motherboard model, the WP044, is equipped with two types of socket depending on the processor and two types of chipset as well, Intel PM965 and GM965. My processor is a Core 2 Duo T7100, so I need a socket P (also known as 478B or 478MN, please correct me if I am wrong), but I am not sure if both chipsets are compatible with that processor. This is important because sellers sometimes don't even know wich type of motherboard are selling. If you could help me with this it would be great.

Thank you

1.8K Posts

December 11th, 2012 00:00

Hi Dudo22,

Inspiron 1520 is shipped with GM965 / PM965 chipset and the processor (Core 2 Duo T7100) is compatible with either of these chipsets. For more information on this processor, you can refer to link: http://intel.ly/S22YTI There should not be any problem installing it. Part# WP044 is for the discrete motherboard. If you are planning to get a discrete motherboard for your computer, you must get a discrete video card for the same. 

In case you are planning to upgrade to a UMA motherboard, you can go for part# WP043 (motherboard) or WK076 (motherboard service kit with daughter board included). 

Please reply in case you have any further questions.  

14 Posts

December 11th, 2012 06:00

Thank you very much

There is no problem with the video card, I only want to replace my broken motherboard, so the rest of pieces still work and I can use them with the new motherboard.

Just a last question. I am really confused about the sockets denomination. As far as I know, Core 2 Duo processors work on sockets P, but I have seen that this socket is also known as socket 478B (this is the socket of my broken motherboard), is that correct? The thing is that some motherboards for sale have a socket named 478MN, the pins configuration is the same than the 478B, so I think they are compatibles and that is just another name for the same socket, but I am not sure about it. On the other hand, the Intel specifications say that T7100 can work on PBG479 or PPGA478 sockets, and I don't know what sockets are that, I have only read things about socket P, socket M... Do you know any documentation to understand this sockets denomination?

1.8K Posts

December 12th, 2012 06:00

Hi Dudo22,

Thank you for your quick response.

I did some research on this issue and got some useful information. The socket has 478 pin holes arranged as 26 x 26 grid with 14 x 14 section removed from the center of the grid. The socket has 2 pin holes at one corner plugged. Socket dimensions are 3.6 cm x 4.4 cm or 1.42" x 1.73" and is also known as a 478-pin Micro FCPGA or μFCPGA-478. Socket P has 478 pins, but is not electrically pin-compatible with Socket M or Socket 478 It doesn't have a lever that locks the CPU in the socket, or releases it. Instead, the socket has a special actuator that needs to be turned by about half-turn to lock or release the processor. 

If you are purchasing the same part# (for motherboard), you can install Core 2 Duo processor on the motherboard. For more information on the processors and which type of sockets they support, you can refer to the link: http://bit.ly/SQU7Bj . I am sure it will be of great help to you. 

Please reply for further clarifications. 

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

December 28th, 2012 09:00

First thing to be sure is that the CPU is firmly locked down into its socket.  If it's not, the system won't power up.  

If the CPU is locked, remove the RAM and try powering up - if you don't get a beep sequence, there's a good chance the replacement board is faulty.

The other issue with these is that if you have a separate video card (nVidia), they're very well known for high failure rates - and a bad video card can prevent a system from powering up.

There's not much you can do to test a system that won't complete the poweron self-test other than the above.

14 Posts

Ok thank you, but one thing, if it was be a problem with the processor, there would be a led code that would indicate it, right? so that would reduce the problem to the motherboard or the nvidia card...

14 Posts

Ok, I have replaced the motherboard, and the laptop is still dead. When start the system with the Fn button pressed, the 3 leds (nums, caps and scroll locs) turn on and one second later they turn off.

I have read in some forums that people had problems with their AC adapter, but mine seems to work fine, the green led is on and the led of the computer that indicates that the battery is charging is on too.

When I try to start the PC, it seems that everything is going to be ok, but the Dell bios program doen't start, so I can't do any diagnostic. I'll try to flash the bios from a CD, but I don't think that is going to work because the motherboard doesn't recognize any other hardware.

Is there any possibility to do a diagnostic to the motherboard? or do I need to do something to restart the bios, since the motherboard is new? can it be a problem with the processor?

Thank you, please give me all your thoughts about this, I'm really confused and tired

14 Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

In my original mainboard, the code (with the RAM's inserted) were light - blink - blink. I found that this was a problem with the memories, but I tested the memories in another computer and they worked fine. With the memories not inserted, the code was light - light - light and then lights off. I thought that all of that indicated a problem related with the memory, but resided in the mainboard, so I replaced it, and it results that the new mainboard doesn't work, but the older code (light - blink - blink) doesn't exists now, it just doesn't start. If the older code definitely indicated a faulty mainboard, it would be an strange coincidence that the processor or the nvidia card just failed at the same time and one of them doesnt work in the new mainboard...

I'm going to check the old mainboard again, just to be sure about that led codes...

14 Posts

December 28th, 2012 10:00

OK, my last message was wrong, sorry. The codes are:

- With memories not placed: light - blink - blink. That indicates that rams are not inserted ok.

- With memories placed: light - light - light, and lights off.

That with both system boards

No Events found!