Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2009 18:00

Inspiron 1525- 1526, Touchpad, Mouse or Keyboard Issues Fixed

hi all. i'm new to dell forum. i'm here to show you how to fix inspiron 1525 -1526 touchpad and keyboard issues. some of you experience the touchpad acting up crazy, cursor jumping from one side of screen to the other, etc. some of you experience  the keyboard working sometimes, and others  experience that keyboard types by it self, etc. now put everything back together. or test your touchpad before you put everything back. if you need to apply more tape  behind the touchpad cable. please do! you should now enjoy using your laptop with no problems. note: your keyboard should now work fine. touchpad problem made the keyboard  useless. since now touchpad is fixed, your keyboard should work fine. if it doesn't, please apply the same technique attaching tape to the end of the keyboard cable.

1 Message

September 18th, 2009 02:00

This problem just hit me about a week ago.  It sounds like the exact same thing.  But the only thing is it effects my USB mouse too when I plug it in.  So that doesn't make sense about how the fix will do it.  But I don't know.

1 Message

October 2nd, 2009 10:00

HEy PeruRican, THAnks for the post. I have the exact same problem and to try your ways but my laptop is E1405. I m afraid it is little different than 1525 and the cables might be placed differently. Do you knowany thing aboutthis? I wil ask Dell to give u a gift.:emotion-1: Thanks

20 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 06:00

Hi  Deepak995 ...

Well, your problem might  be fixed by replacing the  TouchPad ... as many times the parts of a laptop start to go wrong, yours might be having just that ... 

In this case the Dell 1525 has been having issues in which replacing the entire TouchPad with a new one, did not fix the problem, but it did work for a while ...

When I started to fix my laptop, I replaced the touchpad with 2 different Working Touchpads, but the problem was still there...  That's how I came to think that the problem was on the motherboard, and eventually I found out that resetting or having a good connection for the touchpad cable, fixed the problem ..

Like I'd said your problem might be a failing/bad  touchpad, and not a bad connection .....    But it's worth trying to reset the touchpad cable, and if it doesn't work, you can buy a replacement on-line ....

I don't have visual instructions on how to disassemble or assemble the E1405 laptop ...  but by looking at this post you can have an idea on how to disassemble the E1405, which in a way looks the same as a 1525.

Here's a link if you wanna get a replacement ... a Palmrest with touch ...  

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELL-630M-640M-E1405-M140-PALMREST-TOUCHPAD-HC430_W0QQitemZ150307496952QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item22ff0663f8&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14#ht_3090wt_939

If I find a visual step by step on how to disassemble /assemble the E1405 , I will give you the link ..

20 Posts

October 3rd, 2009 06:00

I totally forgot to give my thanks to DELL BiLL B   for sending me a gift ....

Thanks BiLL   !!!

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

October 14th, 2009 08:00

I totally forgot to give my thanks to DELL BiLL B   for sending me a gift ....

Thanks BiLL   !!!

Oh, you got it? Sweet! How was it? I forgot what I sent. LOL

1 Message

December 31st, 2009 21:00

To all,

the above step by step solution guide, fixed the problem I had with my touchpad.  I was having problems with my pointer jumping around all over the desktop and after putting 3 pieces of tape on the touchpad cable VOILA! 

PROBLEM FIXED!

I was in touch with Dell Tech support 3 times since October of 2008 and had others try to fix my touchpad.  It is not an A/C or driver problem!!!!

I am forever great full, and this is a good day to start my 2010!

G

1 Message

January 3rd, 2010 18:00

Wow - it worked pretty well for me too. Huzzah! Not perfect but still way better...

I have hated this computer for 2 straight years (and hated myself for buying another Dell after all the problems I had with my old laptop). I would rather undergo water torture than ever again talk to tech people in India, so I never even bothered with that excercise in frustration. I've actually been shopping all holiday season for a laptop for myself, but thought I'd check the forums one more time and found this awesome pictorial cure. If you're like me, give this a shot. It was easy to do and might make your life soo much less aggravating.

Thank you thank you PeruRican - I hope it's true that Dell did something for you for your troubles. Why they couldn't have done it themselves is a mystery.

1 Message

January 26th, 2010 17:00

ANOTHER SUCCESS STORY!!!

For the past several months I have been using a Bluetooth keyboard w/trackball. It has been a hassle to have to carry the keyboard along with the laptop, not to mention the wireless receiver sticking out from the side of the laptop.

I used duct tape instead of packing tape, and added a layer just to be sure. Just one caution to others replacing the speaker grill is even more difficult than removing it, I held my breath until it was all back in place, laying flat without any ripples.

THANK YOU PeruRican, Love Ya!!!

p.s. I don't understand why Dell has not addressed such a simple to resolve issue.

147 Posts

February 1st, 2010 10:00

Excellent pictures and descriptions.  I believe that step 3 should be hard drive instead of battery.

4 Posts

February 21st, 2010 08:00

I have an Inspiron 1440 with the same issue as described in this article. The photos are still helpful, even if it doesn't look exactly the same as for a 1550. But, I cannot get the touchpad cable out - Using fingernails, I can pull down the latches either side. I have tried to slide it out, but it won't come out, which leads me to think maybe this isn't my issue, since the cable is very firmly inserted.

One question for this forum - can anyone post photos of the 1440 touchpad cable location - I think I'm right, I don't think there is anything else it could be, but confirmation would be nice. And I'd like some clarification from folks who have done this - how difficult is it to remove the touchpad cable? How did you do it if it was difficult?

Thanks, everyone,

Susan

2 Posts

March 11th, 2010 11:00

You are a GENIUS.  I have been having problems for the past year and major problems since Win 7 came out with my cursor jumping all over the place when using the touchpad.  I replace the touchpad 2 days ago for my Dell Inspiron 1525 and the cursor was still going crazy.  So I figured what the hell I'll try your solution.  This has solved the majority of my touchpad and keyboard problems.  The tape I placed under the touchpad cable and on top of the keyboard cable has worked wonders since last night.  Still having a little bit of problem with the vertical scrolling not working quite right, but I think that may be the settings.  This is the first typing I have done without the pointer erasing things randomly and moving the cursor all over the place.  Now my space bar actually works and no problems with the keyboard.

Thanks and Dell needs to give you a job.

2 Posts

March 11th, 2010 11:00

To get the technical manual go to Dell.com and look up manuals for the Inspiron 1440.  Download the Technical Manual and that will tell you where the cable for your touch pad is.  On my Inspiron 1525 it was difficult to get the cable out, but is slowly worked it out.  Make sure that the plastic piece is pulled all the way out.  My cable was in tight too, but in the end the tape solution has worked, so far.

Alison

20 Posts

March 11th, 2010 12:00

Thank you everyone  for posting your experiences,  and for leaving positive feedback ... 

Peace  :emotion-5:  \\// 

20 Posts

March 11th, 2010 12:00

Hi Susan ... User:  "guggens"

Well, since you own an Inspiron 1440 ,  then the touchpad's problem might have a completely different solution ....  it might  be fixed by just replacing the TouchPad with a working touchpad ... as over time the parts of a laptop start to go wrong, yours  might be just that ... 

Like I'd said your problem might be a bad  touchpad, and not a bad connection, but it's worth trying to reset the touchpad cable, and if it doesn't work, you can buy a replacement on-line ....

4 Posts

March 11th, 2010 13:00

Thanks, everyone for the help, much appreciated!!  Well, the technical manual nor the service manual show the touchpad cable system (keyboard yes, but touchpad, nope), but I'm pretty sure I have the location of the touchpad cable figured out. And it's a brand new laptop, and although it could certainly be a defective touchpad, I now think it's something else. My "client" is my daughter, and as I couldn't repro the issue, I was relying on what she said, namely, that the touchpad was crazy. But what she really meant to tell me is that the KEYBOARD misses keystrokes when she's using IE8, esp. the backspace key when the processor gets to a certain point.

There seem to be two different problems on the Internet one about crazy touchpads and the other about crazy keyboards. With touchpads, the cable connection needs padding. But after watching my daughter reproduce the issue, I think we have this problem instead - "The problem is a "stutter" in the keyboard response. You can almost see the cursor blinking at a slower and somewhat random pace once you begin typing. Even the space bar and backspace keys are affected. It was taking me minutes to respond correctly within an instant messenger when it should have taken seconds."

Thread is here, hilarious read if you have the time :emotion-2: http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/InternetExplorer/thread/3fe689fd-601f-4988-b97a-f1678d3f4d16

I've done a lot of stuff they suggested in the article, and it seems to be resolved, but I'm guessing not really, I think we just haven't pegged the processor enough yet. When she goes back to college and downloads videos and does her homework online same time (one teacher requires you to use IE and not Mozilla), this may show up again. And I'm posting it here because someone who still has the issue may be benefited by this thread.

No Events found!