Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

9 Posts

January 20th, 2009 11:00

Inspiron 1525 Integrated WebCam not working in Vista 64bit (new install)

I have a 3 month old Inspiron 1525 that I upgraded to Vista 64 bit. I reinstalled the integrated webcam driver and application software (both 64 bit compatible according to the download pages). However, when I start the application, select any of the various features to run (video recording, photo capture) it says "The camera is not available. Please make sure it is not used by another application."  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver and software, try various compatibility modes. Disabled Live Messenger. Varified that the WIA (Windows Image Acquisition) was set to automatic and started. All with no luck. Windows device manager recognizes the hardware and says it's working properly. The blue light flashes when rebooting. Microphone works fine. I know it's NOT a hardware issue as the camera worked just fine hours before the upgrade (it was a clean install of 64 bit Vista). All I can think is that there must be a couple settings that I"m missing in the OS. Any suggestions?

Update: I also tried re-installing the BIOS A16 update as suggested on another forum. No luck.

5 Posts

January 20th, 2009 12:00

The camera in your Computer is Creative Make. so try to update this driver

http://support.creative.com/downloads/download.aspx?nDownloadId=10284 this might work.

Please keep me posted about outcome...

Anjan...

9 Posts

January 23rd, 2009 12:00

No Dice. The device driver offered on Creative did install but is an older version of the same Driver offered by Dell. It's compatible, but didn't solve the problem. I've read quite a few other forums and I've come to the conclusion that this specific make of webcam that is offered by dell may only be compatible with a 32-bit OS as there are others who have installed 64 bit XP, Vista, and now 7 that have had the same issue. I think Dell needs to tweak the Driver to make it work with 64 bit OS's. Especially now that the 7 beta is available. Between the folks over at the Mircrosoft Forum and myself, we have tried every concievable workaround and in the end, it's the "DRIVER" and dell needs to release a new version. My suspecion is that Creative will say that because it's integrated into a DELL product that it's DELLs responisblilty, and Dell will probably say that since its manufactured by Creative that it's Creative's problem. Unless a new driver is released, I guess I'm just out my $35 upgrade. I can't see going back to 32 bit OS when I paid for a 64 bit system. :emotion-6:

9 Posts

February 24th, 2009 11:00

I wanted to update a recent development. After becoming frustrated, I decided to switch back to my original installation that shipped with my laptop, Vista 32 bit Home Edition with Dell Media Direct 3.5.  Media Direct did not correctly install and function. I won't go into it as there are dozens upon dozens of threads about this issue already. So after a couple of weeks of using a crippled Vista 32 bit, I found some time this weekend to work on the issue. I re-installed Vista 64 bit. Everything was on the up and up. Mind you this is an Inspiron 1525 and DELL doesn't have many 64 bit drivers for most things it needs, so I did some creative searching of a few other laptops, like VOSTRO, XPS, and a 1720. Everything was in place and working great. Now it was time for the camera. I begin re-installing the camera driver as supplied by DELL, triple checking to make sure that it is 64 Bit compatible. During the install, this time I noticed something I hadn't before, the package wanted to install in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell directory. On a gut instinct hunch, I changed this to C:\Program Files\Dell.  This worked!  I wanted to make sure that this was indeed the solution, so I re-installed everything again, the same way, and it did work. So now that I had everything working, I decided to tackle the Windows 7 beta 64 bit OS. I followed what was essentially the same steps, only this time I let the camera install in the Program Files (x86) directory. And as I suspected, the camera did not work. I then re-installed Win7 following the same steps as earlier putting camera in the C:\Program Files\Dell directory and camera works great. BTW, Win7 64bit is AWESOME. I do not know why I have never heard anyone else ever talk about this, either here or on any other Forum. But since the issue with the camera, I've since fixed a couple other software installation issues by doing the same thing. If you have problems with 32 bit software running correctly, it is worth trying to change the default installation directory. Note: I never did get Media Direct 3.5 to ever work again, not that I really care. I didn't really care for it anyway.

9 Posts

March 10th, 2009 17:00

Very brief guide to drivers for upgrading a Dell Inspiron 1525 from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit or Windows 7 64-bit.

The Dell Inspiron 1525 is an extremely popular model of laptop and is a very good choice for a Dual-Core cpu at a relatively good price point. However, it has one very big drawback, it ships with only a 32 bit OS. Simply put, a dual-core cpu is a 64-bit processor and the operating system that comes with the laptop is Microsoft Vista Home, which operates at 32-bits. You’ve paid for four lanes of highway, but you’re only using two! Upgrading to Windows XP 64 bit, Vista 64 bit, or even the Windows 7 beta (test version) 64 bit operating system is the only way to take advantage of the additional speed you’ve paid for. And it is worth it.

Dell does not support, suggest, or recommend upgrading your OS to anything other than the factory installed OS. So if you upgrade, you’re on your own. If you’re unsure of how this may affect your warranty, I strongly suggest you contact Dell before doing any modification of your OS. I also highly suggest you back up all of your data, either to an online storage spot or to cd/dvd discs where you can easily access it after the upgrade is complete. (NOTE: I recommend you make that a bi-weekly, if not a bi-daily, habit) Backup! Backup! Backup! Next make sure you have all of the original CD’s and installation material that came with your laptop in case you want to restore the original settings later on. There are hundreds of online guides that will walk you through the upgrade process. Google it and you should be able to find one that works for you.

Dell does not offer a readily available list of drivers for 64-bit operating systems. The purpose of this here is simply to give a list of drivers that I downloaded that worked for me. After doing a fresh, clean install of Vista 64-bit, I got out the Driver Installation disk that came with my Inspiron 1525. On that disk, there are several drivers that are already 64-bit compatible. Insert the disk and select Vista 64 bit under Operating System. Click on extract for each driver you want and under the View pane it will tell you if it is 64-bit compatible. Some drivers under the Vista 32 bit section will also show if they are compatible with 64 bit. Install each of the drivers that meet the criteria. Alternatively, you can go to the Dell Website and enter your Service Tag number (from the back of the laptop) and Dell will provide you a list of all drivers that shipped with your laptop. Click on each one and select the Compatibility option to see if it is 64 bit or not. If it is, download and install.

As I said before, Dell does not have a readily available list of drivers that may be needed after a clean install of a 64 bit OS. Here I will offer the drivers that I hunted down that worked for my installation of both Vista 64 bit and Windows 7 beta 64 bit. These drivers are not necessarily listed as being for the Inspiron 1525, but I have installed them and they provide the same functionality on the 1525 as their 32-bit counterparts. To find them, simply go to Dell’s website, in the drop down box next to the search bar select “Support and Help” and type the R number in the search bar. The driver should be the first one listed. Click and download. Once downloaded, double click to install. That simple.

Downloaded Drivers:

R153910

Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio 64bit

R165805

Dell TouchPad / Pointing Stick 64bit

R166187

Intel Mobile Chipset  32bit/64bit*

R166188

Ricoh r5c833  Card 32bit/64bit*

R166201

Intel Turbo Memory 32bit/64bit*

R173082

Creative Labs Integrated Webcam 32bit/64bit*

R174292

Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN MiniCard*

R181307

Java Runtime Enviornment jre-6u5*

R182065

Dell Recommended Vista Power Management Settings 32bit/64bit

R182249

Dell QuickSet 64bit*

R167854

Marvell 88E80XX 10/100 Ethernet Controller 32bit/64bit*

*available on the Driver CD

Additional variations you may wish to try:

R196522

Dell QuickSet 64bit

R198006

QuickSet 64bit

R200495

Dell QuickSet 64bit

R180762

Dell QuickSet 32bit

R163853

Dell QuickSet 64bit

R174292

Dell Wireless 1490 Dual-Band WLAN MiniCard 32bit/64bit

Important:

Dell Support Center does not work with 64 bit OS.

Dell DataSafe Online works, but not very well. For online backup, try MOXY.

Dell Media Direct 3.5 may be permanently deleted from your system if you upgrade and may not fully re-install even when performing a complete re-install via the reinstallation disk provided by Dell.

A few other things that I’d like to mention. First, is that you may find it difficult for some of your applications or software to work with a 64 bit OS. Try Compatibility mode. This will work for probably 60% - 80% of all software. For the rest, it’s hit or miss. Check the softwares’ website for suggestions. Secondly, if your Inspiron 1525 has a built in webcam, try this: When installing, change the default installation directory from “C:\Program Files (x86)\Dell” to just “C:\Program Files\Dell”. This simple change was all that was needed to fix a very pesky problem which was preventing me from using the Webcam. And if you find any other software giving you a hard time, ie: ScreenSavers, this solution may well work for them too. Third, you may need to re-install the Sigmatel STAC 92xx C-Major HD Audio driver after you install the webcam to get the built-in microphone to work correctly. During one install, I had to do this, during another I didn’t. So I just offer it up as a suggestion if needed.  

NOTE: You can obtain a free test version of Windows 7 beta from Microsoft, but they do warn that its license expires in August of 2009 and you will need to uninstall it after that point. Therefore, I only recommend using Windows 7 for those who are technically inclined. Stick with Vista if you don’t want to, or don’t like to, install a clean copy of the OS every few months. I will strongly urge you to purchase a copy of Windows 7 once it becomes commercially available as I have almost nothing but good things to say about the beta (test) version. I’m pretty sure the bag of chips will be included in the price.

9 Posts

May 6th, 2009 20:00

I TOTALLY forgot to add R168730 Creative Labs Dell Webcam Manager to the list............I can't believe it. Oh well, here it is. Please add it to your list of drivers for Windows 7.   BTW - Windows 7 RC is a must have.  It's just beautiful.

1 Message

May 6th, 2009 23:00

i have an inspiron 1525 that i got this fall and my webcam was working perfectly and earlier tonight i was downloading skype and i noticed that my webcam is not working. When i try to access it, the dell web cam manager says "no supported camera detected.  please plug in to continue" my webcam is built in. What should I do?

7 Posts

June 7th, 2009 17:00

Thanks for the post.  I am currently upgrading my 1525 to Vista x64

What did you use for the video driver? R154960 didn't work for me

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2009 22:00

I had the same problem on a customer's computer today, after trying all the available drivers from DELL to no avail I instructed the customer to bring me the originall drivers and application CD. Amazingly the driver on the CD worked after none of the others did.

The driver that works (Vista 32-bit Service Pack 2) is packaged R155105, you can download it and give it a try using the link below:

Note that the driver installation will fail according to VIsta, still, let the installer complete and reboot.

Good Luck!

2 Posts

August 15th, 2009 09:00

how ti install the integragated dell cam soft ware for the xps 1640 free

2 Posts

August 15th, 2009 09:00

how to  reinstall dell web cam soft ware without paying for it

18 Posts

September 17th, 2009 16:00

I had the same problems with the webcam after I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate RTM.  The facial recognition software worked, just nothing else did.  I used the Dell recommended drivers for the webcam, and updated the Fast Access Facial Recognition software and that fixed it.  What is happening is that the Facial Recognition software takes control of the webcam, and doesn't release control to other software (Skype, Gmail, Facebook, Stickam, etc.)  The update fixes this, and you should be good to go.  

And you can download the Dell Webcam Center.  You have to use internet explorer, log into the Dell website, go to the My Software area , and click the link "Download Factory Installed Software (My Dell Downloads).  The you can find the Dell Webcam program.  If you can't find it there you can call a Dell rep and they will send out the DVD software.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

1 Message

October 4th, 2009 12:00

Hello Everyone,

I know that there has been a frustration with the Dell Web Camera and how one day it in some way or another that it stops working.  I really hate to say it but my fix was replacing the webcamera itself.  Yes, I paid $30 and purchased a new one from a vendor on ebay.  You can probably fiind it cheaper but hey my camera works.  I am running 32 bit Vista version but it looks like the web camera just may be defective.  The way I eventually diagnosed the problem is by running the diagnostic program that is available at the startup, I believe by pressing F12.  I did like many of you and updated drivers, reinstalled drivers, unstalled drivers and all that goes with that.  Eventually I took the least frustrating way out and replaced the web camera itself .  Hope this helps everyone and good luck.

6 Posts

May 28th, 2011 10:00

Hey Natalia did you find a solution to your problem with the dell webcam?. I have the same issue and i dont know how I will do. I did everything. If you got a solution let me know pleaseeeeeeee!!!!!!!!

Carlos Ernesto

<ADMIN NOTE:Email id removed per privacy policy>

7 Posts

May 28th, 2011 11:00

forget about Vista, its garbage.  Install Windows 7 and your webcam will be working.  If its not, then your hardware is faulty.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2011 11:00

pls help me as u said for 64bit like that pls tell me about 32bit  pls pls pls

No Events found!