Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 13th, 2010 13:00

Inspiron 1525 and Inspiron 1545 do people care?

I am naive at the computer business, so forgive me if my writing is not the best.  I find myself frustrated over this.  I first bought an Inspiron 1525, and not long after, I purchased an Inspiron 1545.  My problems begin, oddly enough, with my Inspiron 1545.  The screen went blue (or black), and after going back and forth with Dell representative, the conclusion was, harddrive failure.  A replacement was sent, since it was still under warranty.

Guess what happens next.  The Inspiron 1525, does the same trick.  Goes "dead".  The outcome, harddrive failure.  I spoke to a dell rep. (whom was very curteous), and I ended up paying the extanded warranty.  I received another harddrive, but it was missing programs that I need.  "Microsoft Word".  I called today, and come to find out that Dell does not install "microsoft word" on the replacement, since "Microsoft Word" is only added to the original purchase.

I am now confused.  When buying warranty, I was never informed that certain programs (which are on the original purchase), would not be installed.  Second, is it common for Dell Inspiron computers to breakdown so quickly?  It's almost like buying a car, and buying insurance to replace it, and then find out that the tires were not covered ! ! ! ! !

I suppose I am just releasing my frustration.  One thing is for sure, I will start circulating e-mails to all my friends, asking them NOT to buy Dell Inspiron laptops...

Does anybody care?  Thanxs for reading.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

February 13th, 2010 14:00

You can request a set of CDs of software that came with your computer. http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dellcare/en/backupcd_form

Inspirons are what I consider to be consumer-grade laptops. Corporations buy the Latitudes which are considered business-grade laptops.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

February 13th, 2010 15:00

It's also likely the reason you don't see HP notebooks being repaired is HP's astronomical part prices and restricted parts availability - most I've known with HPs that fail simply recycle them and buy something else next time.

HP has several lines of notebooks with well-known failure modes - and the parts are either hard to come by or so overpriced that repair makes no sense.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

Sorry but as a repairer it goes back to the saying you only get what you paid for , I see mostly Dell and Acer Laptops , very few Toshiba and HP/ Compaq machines

one person's observations, does NOT a survey make   http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/laptop-reliability-survey-asus-and-toshiba-win-hp-fails/

19 Posts

Just for the record i care, I have worked on both models and there are so many different problems it would take to long to mention.

and as for the missing programs it would have been no problem for them to replace the drive with the same as original install. After all that is what you originally paid for and it was a warranty issue.

Sorry but as a repairer it goes back to the saying you only get what you paid for , I see mostly Dell and Acer Laptops , very few Toshiba and HP/ Compaq machines

Good luck Dave from Wizzcom 

4 Posts

May 9th, 2010 23:00

I bought a Dell 1525.I paid over $1,000.00 because i got the best of everything,9 cell battery 2GB..webcam and so on.This was 2 1/2 years ago.I had to replace the battery in 9 months.Then the hard drive...then the hard drive & motherboard..keyboard..adapter...then another hard drive & motherboard..another adapter...now the battery dont charge...They are giving me a new laptop with a 2 year warranty and 3 years of Trend..They said i might get an updated laptop because the 1525 will be hard to get parts for.I feel like asking for a whole other laptop.I had bad karma with this one.My first Dell laptop was the Inspiron B120 and still going strong.I gave it to my son.I only paid $500 with tax it was $645.00.Sometimes i think the more you have on a laptop the more things can go wrong???Like if you make it simple it is better.I only use it for home and small business.Good luck..i am honored that i am getting another one in 3 weeks.My battery will only charge to 5% plugged in and it's not even old.Does anyone think the 9 cell batterys are too strong for these laptops?IDK???Peace..Tina

No Events found!