Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

E

1 Message

September 5th, 2008 12:00

Inspiron 1526 battery not charging while plugged in....

Inspiron 1526 laptop battery was charging fine for the first 2 months, then all of a sudden, it's not charging. Thought at first it was the AC source, but the computer runs fine while plugged in. Contacted Dell support, they send me a new battery, well same problem. The new battery won't charge at all either. The only way we've been able to use the computer is if it is plugged in. Is anyone else having this problem or does anyone know what the problem could be? Thanks!!

1 Message

June 8th, 2012 16:00

Try re-soldering the joints on the power jack board (Inspiron 1526) Takes about 30min to take your machine apart, and like changing the cmos battery (button or coin cell), its almost the last thing to be removed. There are plenty of tutorial vids on youtube which will show you how to take it apart, and hopefully put it back together!  A needle point iron, flux, good quality solder and a steady hand are all you need!  It could save you an expensive repair bill if you're willing to take a chance.   Worked for me..... had tried 3 different adapters I already had before I tried this and it worked first time! Not to say that your problem may be different, its down to elimination. There are a number of joints which need to be re-tinned. Check for continuity across the socket to the pins on the track side of the board and you'll find your open circuit. If in doubt check everything from the wall to the power jack with a multimeter.  Batteries do die, but if it's suddenly just stopped charging, and there's power from your adapter, then chances are it's most likely a dry solder joint or joints!

Anyway, hope this helps someone.

1 Message

June 16th, 2012 02:00

Its the computer itself guys. its a problem that i've found everywhere i've looked with this inspirion mines a refurbished one and im having the same issue the guy told me i would have to deal. its not your battery so dont waste your money. but i'm wondering if along with this issue your ac adapter doesnt seem to fit into your computer and comes out ridiculously easily. i've even ordered a new ac adapter that was the size dell suggested as compared to the other one i had which was bigger. well all i can say is i'm happy i bought this for 150 rather than full price. i will never get another dell product again. no one i know has ever been happy with them after the first couple of weeks. also i've already had to replace the hard drive although i dont know if that was dell or the guy i bought it from who deserves my anger.

2 Posts

September 22nd, 2012 18:00

Also have the same issue. I have a Dell Inspiron 1525, battery all of a sudden decided to stop charging, I get the msg 'plugged in not charging.

Tried new battery and powersupply but issue still unresolved. Not buying Dell again.

3.3K Posts

September 22nd, 2012 21:00

Hi Mic2012,

Allow me an opportunity to solve this issue. I want to assure you that Dell always aims to provide customers with a satisfying and enjoyable purchase experience. Iam sure I will be able to make this interaction a best one for you.

Issue might be with the adapter port on the motherboard/adapter.

To isolate the issue let’s try few troubleshooting steps.

1. I recommend you to remove the battery and disconnect the adapter, press and hold the power button for few seconds and release to drain the flea power .Now put back the battery and connect the adapter and power on the computer and check if the adapter error message pops up.
  2. Also update BIOS on the computer from the below mentioned link:ww.dell.com/.../inspiron-1525
  3. Now check the status of Adapter in BIOS by restarting the computer and tapping F2 on dell logo and check for the adapter type. Another step is to check with a known good adapter, if known good adapter works fine that means it should be an issue with the original adapter.

In case the system has active warranty, please private message the system service tag, contact number and registered owner’s name.

To private message, accept my friend request; click on my user name and click start conversation.

To check Warranty status: support.dell.com/.../warranty_information

Awaiting your response!

934 Posts

September 23rd, 2012 05:00

watch the video

1 Message

October 1st, 2012 17:00

I have same problem in my Dell inspiron 6000 an old one, The problem started with Jack/Charging Port. Had issue of getting power to laptop so replaced the power jack since then it runs on AC power only and does not charge Battery.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 17:00

I dont know for certain this is the same issue as i was experiencing.  My battery was not charging for some time and the battery icon in the system tray was x'd out because it was not being read by the computer.  i noticed if i nudged my battery a certain way that the computer would read it.  It was not easy to get it to read this way and i additionally had to hold it to have the battery continue to read.  In the end my battery is now charging and reading.  For me it was a contact issue.  the battery slides onto teeth on the bottom of the computer. 2 plastic guides on either side with metal contacts between. turn the computer over and remove the battery. the connection will be visible. take a flat-head screwdriver and press all of the contact teeth towards the right side of the computer slightly and preserve the spacing as best you can.  when you slide the battery back into place you will feel some resistance. DO NOT FORCE THE BATTERY BACK INTO PLACE AS YOU MIGHT DAMAGE THE TEETH DU TO THEIR ALTERED POSITION.  The adjustment is necessary to get the battery to read just wiggle the battery until you feel the teeth mathc with the gaps and then it will slide easily into place again. Hope this solves your issues.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 29th, 2012 18:00

FYI  mine is an insperion 1750

the battery adapter plugs into the laptop -> into the battery and then -> into the computer so be read by the system as charging/charged or available

December 17th, 2012 05:00

Hi Guys...!
I find it out.....!
This is the problem with your AC charging adopter.....!
I have a dell inspiron 1525 which is 2 years old but still have 3 hours battery timing....!
I had faced the same problem  the last week the battery told me that it is not charging...!
As I am a hardware repair person so, I check ma battery and it was at it best but when I checked ma charger it was faulty...!
So I got a new one from the dell shop and Now my laptop works great....!
Thanx...! 

1 Message

February 1st, 2013 07:00

I have the sme problem with my Inspsiron 1525.  The computer says the battery is functioning normally, but the computer won't charge it.

1 Message

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

Since we can't update Bios without at least 10% battery, this "troubleshooting" (directly from Dell Support) for a problem that is obviously a manufacturer issue, is completely worthless!

934 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 07:00

Why do you want to update the BIOS? In most cases it's either the power adapter (broken cable) or the power jack of the laptop - at least it's worthwhile taking a close look at it.Also watch the video I posted earlier in this thread.

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 14:00

Dear Rajesh of Dell: I had tried the steps you mentioned above without success. Also one of the Dell techs over the phone told me that this is most probably a motherboard issue and I will need to buy a new motherboard. This was wrong and misleading advice!! FYI, a local computer technician took my computer to examine the problem and bought me a new genuine charger and battery which has now resolved the issue. Thanks anyway.

1 Message

February 17th, 2014 02:00

All,

I have had the "AC adapter not recognized" problem, hence not charging on a clients 1525.  I have tried everything in this thread and numerous other threads on Google to no satisfaction.

As it turns out I have a number of spare batteries and 'spare' chargers that I was able to try and came across the solution by chance...

What I have discovered is remarkably simple. I have proven all of this simply by using the 'F2' BIOS screen relating to under the menu.  I am usin BIOS A17 - what appears to be the last & final BIOS version for this laptop from Dell. (The operating system is hence irrelevant in this case, though I cannot confirm if earlier versions of BIOS would be any different)

The problem can be reproduced with any battery (Dell original or 3rd party replacement) that I have that fits the 1525 and any of 6 DELL chargers, whether they are 65W or 90W...

Simply put:

a) take a look at the charger and where the 'high/ac/mains' voltage connector plugs into the charger.  This is a chunky 2 pin rubberised connector with a short lead to the country variant mains connector.

b) Observe that when connected correctly, the connector MUST always be fitted in such the the 'high/ac/mains' wire comes out on the 'non-label' side of the adapter. On the adapters that I have there is also two parallel lines between  the  DELL logo and where the connector plugs in - perhaps suggesting that the cable should always emerge this way, but that is just a guess.

So - on 6 different PSUs and 4 different batteries this test was CONCLUSIVE and worked every time with the lead connected the right way around and failed when connected the wrong way round...

Why this is such a fundamental issue I do not know, but someone somewhere, in DELL?, should have documented this very early on!

I hope that this may help some of you, who have the 'ac adapter not recognised' problem - a 'battery not recognised' is a different problem, for which I have no experience.

Dave

PS: now running happily on a 64-bit version of Win7, with 4G of ram...

1 Message

June 4th, 2014 07:00

if your battery in your laptop wont charge or the charging light only comes on for 10 seconds even though your battery is not charged.You must go into device manager and un-install not disable the Microsoft ac adapter,and then un-install the microsoft ACPI -compliant control battery method. Then with laptop plugged in hard boot the computer and presto you will see charging light on and in a few minutes your battery will be charged or charging.do not buy new power converter or new battery.Ps I also took the back off my computer and changed the cr2032 battery in motherboard its the same battery most remote controls for cars use or whichever batt. yours uses this is for laptops 5 yrs. or older. GOOD luck its easy cheap and it works just remember un-install them not dis-able when you boot computer they will be back in place under device manager with no problems.May GOD BLESS HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!if this helps only one person then I'm happy! Marvin
No Events found!