Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 17th, 2017 17:00

Inspiron 1526 doesn't turn on. New CMOS battery.

I replaced the power input board due to the jack being broken. Also replaced the CMOS battery with a new one, measured at over 3V. Old one was 0.6V.

The battery charged (steady blue LED, then blinking then off).

Nothing happens when I push the power button, or the Media Direct button.

When I hold Fn and push the power button the Numlock LED blinks fast and continuously, Caps lock LED is on steady, Scroll Lock LED is OFF. Said to indicate bad CMOS battery in other info I found online.

I turned the CPU socket latch to release and back to ensure the socket had a fresh bite on the pins.

Aside from the broken power jack it looks like brand new. No dirt, no scratches.

Edit: I tried a different CPU. I tried it without the RAM and without the CPU and without both installed. No difference at all. No reaction at all to pressing the power button, or the same blink code when pressing Fn plus power.

30 Posts

April 14th, 2017 03:00

I got a refurbished board, complete with all the sub-boards. Came fully assembled so I swapped it all out. Still dead, but the audio touch control LEDs blink on in sequence, the fan runs for a bit, the optical drive tray can be opened. Touching the audio controls makes their LEDs light briefly.

Fn+Power blinks the numlock while the other two are both on steady. CPU fault. Broken power jack that spiked the mainboard got the CPU too?

So I got another TL60. Arrived yesterday and I installed it. No change.

Two dead CPUs or is there some common fault with the 1526 that does this with good CPUs?

No Events found!