Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 26th, 2010 09:00

Inspiron 1545 AC Adapter Not recognized

Hello,

This 1545 just ran out of warranty and now it decides to give the "ac adapter unknown" and the battery won't charge.  The bios can't be flashed because it's not at 10%.  A quick search on google makes it clear this issue has happened to many.  Why has there been no recall for this issue?  I will not buy Dell, nor will I recommend Dell laptops to anyone, anymore. 

Thank you for your time and attention in this matter.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2010 09:00

Recalls cover safety problems, which this is not.  Try a new Dell adapter first - if that doesn't fix it, the system needs an internal repair.  You may want to consider extending your warranty.

You may also just as well expand  your "I'll never" to include all notebook computers, portable electronics, cell phones, etc. that use external power supplies - because they CAN and DO fail - on everything.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

November 26th, 2010 11:00

There was no need to present your question in a format that makes it appear the problem occurs with the majority of Dell systems, either.

In fact, the only time I've come across this problem, having dealt with thousands of systems of all types, is when it's user-caused rough handling of the power supply and/or power jack.  Treated properly, the problem isn't common with any brand of system.

November 26th, 2010 11:00

Thanks for the quick reply.  There is no need for condescending remarks.

Happy Holidays.

4 Posts

November 17th, 2011 11:00

I agree EJN63.  That person's response is arrogant, uninformed and useless (to say the least).  I too, have worked on thousands of computers over 30 years and within the last few years, have noticed an obvious degradation in the Dell brand -- specifically their laptops.  This "AC Adapter  = Unknown" message found in the BIOS is one that has been well documented for the past few years with their Latitude laptop line.  Contrary to the assertion that this problem is primarily caused by the consumer's "rough handling of the power supply and/or power jack" is erroneous.  Use your Search Engine and you'll see lots of technical possibilities that can be at the root of this particular model's seemingly inherent flaw.

934 Posts

August 31st, 2012 09:00

3 Posts

Also, I wasn't rough with the computer or the charger. The laptop is a few years old, but the charger is only a couple months old. It worked for a few weeks, and then out of nowhere, it stopped. If there are any programs or methods of fixing this, they would be greatly appreciated.

3 Posts

Actually, it IS common. It's a ridiculously simple problem that shouldn't exist, and I am dealing with it too. I bought a Dell charger for my Dell Inspiron 1545 computer, and it won't charge. It was a waste of a substantial amount of money, so no, I'm not paying Dell more for a warranty when it should never have happened in the first place. Take you condescension somewhere else, I'm looking for help or a solution, not your tactless, bored remarks. 

Has anyone had any luck resolving this issue? Sometimes my laptop will charge, but I don't know when or why that happens. The majority of the time the chargers sustains it, but won't fill the battery. Is there an internal glitch or something? Or are these laptops just designed to have very very specific chargers exclusive to the model? 

3 Posts

August 31st, 2012 10:00

Thank you, that was pretty helpful

4 Posts

August 31st, 2012 10:00

Apparently katiemcd3, this is not just isolated issue pertaining to this model line of Dell laptops.  If you Google this particular topic, you'll discover that multitudes of people are having the identical problem.  For those suffering from this infliction, the only solution it seems is to replace the faulty integrated piece known as the: DELL INSPIRON 1545 DC POWER JACK CHARGER BOARD.  I've already performed the replacement on several of these Inspirons with a 100% success rate.  Check Amazon for pricing (reasonable).  If your expertise level is insufficient, get an experienced rechnician to perform the task.  In a nutshell, Dell should be ashamed of offering such an inferior, cheaply designed  part in their computers.  Not good at all.

1 Message

January 23rd, 2013 21:00

i would agree that this battery should be recalled.  My warranty ended and now this problem.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2015 02:00

Since this problem rarely occurs you will discover you are wrong, Since I have the same problem with the same machine.

4 Posts

November 30th, 2015 18:00

No. You are wrong.  Did you even read your own comment?  "Since I have the same problem with the same machine".  I would suggest you do some research on this issue before you start making comments that make no sense, Harry.

2 Posts

November 30th, 2015 19:00

Sometimes translation to English is incorrect . The scope of the forum is to offer advice, not be condescending nor "Flaming" in nature ergo ANY AND ALL COMMENTS FROM YOU ARE IGNORED..

4 Posts

December 1st, 2015 05:00

That is your prerogative...  If this site is to be relevant, get your information straight before you start giving customers incorrect information.  Furthermore, this thread is almost three years old!  As others have already mentioned, this WAS and probably still IS a problem with that model.  Whether you choose to believe it or not, rests upon your shoulders.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2016 17:00

Me too

No Events found!