sixinc
1 Copper

Inspiron 1545 Batter & Charger not working

My laptop is a Dell Inspiron 1545 only 3 years old. About the 2nd year the batter stopped charging and I thought it was bad and replaced it and I still had the same problem. I then bought a new charger and same problem. I did some research online and someone said something about the BIOS. I don't know what that is or how to fix it. I do know I found a lot of complaints online for the same issue. Any idea?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: Inspiron 1545 Batter & Charger not working

Hi sixinc,

Please check if the charging port on the laptop is loose. You may also try to wiggle the AC Adapter and check if it works.

*Check the AC Adapter in BIOS; check the ‘AC Adapter’ status if it shows ‘Unknown/  Not Detected / 65W / 90W / 130W'.
*If you get the status as 'Unknown / Not Detected' then reset BIOS to defaults:

• Restart the computer, tap 'F2' key on Dell logo 4-5 times
  • This will take you to the main screen of BIOS
  • Click on Load Defaults -> Apply.
  • Restart the computer.

Also, check the Battery Health Meter:

• Right click on the battery icon on the taskbar
  • Choose ‘Dell Health Meter’
  • Click on ‘Battery Health’ tab
  • Examine the information shown in the window

Please reply if you have any questions.

Thanks & Regards,
Appu S
#iworkfordell
To know more about Dell’s Product Support, Drivers & Downloads, Orders & Dispatch status -> choose your region USA, India. For Dell Support Videos, click Here.

0 Kudos
dileeprao
1 Copper

Re: Inspiron 1545 Batter & Charger not working

Hi Sixinc,

Which adapter you are using, Dell Original or something else?

I had the same problem with my Latitude of battery not charging but system running fine on adapter. I had purchased a new Dell battery, but problem still existed.

Try this: When booting up, press F2 to enter set-up, and scroll down to Device Info option on the left side, look on the right side under adapter option to see if the system is recognizing your adapter. If it shows unknown device, then you have to replace your adapter with Original Dell adapter recommended for your system.

After I got the new adapter matching my system from Dell, battery is charging fine and system recognizes the adapter in BIOS.

PS: You can try with your friend's or any computer store where you can find recommended Dell Adapter for your system first to see if it is the real problem. Otherwise, it might have to do something else with system and power connections.

Let me know if it works.