Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2011 05:00

Inspiron 1545/Windows 7 -- how do I disable the (ultra-sensitive) touch pad?

I cannot use the keyboard, because the touch pad will respond if my hands even get near it, shooting the cursor off in random directions.

I have looked for advice on disabling the touch pad when the mouse is attached, but they all say "Go to Control Panel and find the TouchPad tab and click on disable".... but in my system there is nothing in Control Panel about the touchpad.

HELP!!!

934 Posts

April 21st, 2013 04:00

The only way to turn off the touchpad is by using Dell's  touchpad driver (it's actually programmed by Alps,Synaptics etc....)There are also some software solutions (touchpal,touchfreeze..)but they only temporarily disable the touchpad

If the devicemanager  only comes up with a generic Windows driver you won't be able to use added functionality given by Dell's driver.

I recently upgraded to Windows 8 and I knew that the Dell(Alps) driver was not supported - and Win8  wouldn't even let me install it.This didn't bother me at all because I was happy with the generic driver and I had no need to disable the touchpad.

Just recently Alps released a new Windows 8 driver for some inspirons - my inspiron wasn't included - nevertheless some user reported that it would work fine even on the 1545.

So I downloaded the driver, installed it and it worked perfectly.

What I want to say is: if the touchpad hasn't developed a hardware fault,the proper driver is installed AND the OS (windows Xp,7,8) is not corrupted the touchpad should be ok.I can only speak for my inspiron 1545 - and this machine has never let me down.

I recorded the Win8 touchpad installation,which is similar for any other OS and run the utility.You may want to watch it.

27 Posts

April 21st, 2013 09:00

Hi Doug1943;  

I tried everything suggested here as well.  I finally gave up in desperation and called Dell.  At first they installed software called TOUCHFREEZE.. And that didn't work either.  The second time I called Dell, and when could not find an icon for my touchpad, it took him a while but he finally located and installed a Driver that allowed the TOUCHPAD control to appear under my MOUSE control in Contro Panel.  The driver was not any mentioned in this forum when I was looking.  He got it from the Dell web site and it was a product put out by ALPS Electric Co.  version 7.1007.115.102 and dated 5.2.2010  after installation, voila!  DELL TOUCHPAD appeared in control panel under Mouse.   Had full controls so he could turn it off.   I am so happy!   I am not too tech savvy, but if there is anything I can help you find in order to help u locate thing, Just ask.   I will do my best.  

3 Posts

April 21st, 2013 11:00

This is an interesting little tidbit for those with the Inspiron.

www.dell.com/.../ArticleView

Do you have a "touchpad disable key" to the right of F12?

I'm not sure if this is funny, useless or both, but it is on topic.

By the way, someone here keeps yammering about how his touchpad works fine. That is off topic.

934 Posts

April 21st, 2013 11:00

"savn4amac"

you wrote:

================================

I tried everything suggested here as well.

================================

Did you actually watch the first video posted in this thread ? It included the link that points to the same (Windows 7) driver you mentioned.

The second video also includes a link pointing to the Windows 8 touchpad driver for an inspiron 1545 in case you want to upgrade your system.

934 Posts

April 21st, 2013 12:00

Yes I know - I am the one who is "yammering".

I appreciate any feedback negative or positive - I really mean it.

Thanks for the link - very interesting article

3 Posts

April 21st, 2013 13:00

I am thrilled to report that I have successfully disabled that wretched touchpad on my Precision M6400.

I could not get any help from Dell, as this is a second hand machine = no 'service tag'.

I went straight to Synaptics. To Wit:

www.synaptics.com/.../drivers

I downloaded the drivers. Installed the Drivers. Restarted the machine. Opened the Control Panel - Mouse - and behold, the Synaptics TouchPad and TouchStyk are up there in full view, with a big, happy, DISABLE button waiting for me.

I hope all the rest of ya can succeed as well.

Good Day

27 Posts

April 24th, 2013 16:00

No, I did not watch the first video posted in this thread, Micro, as I had no need.  My touch pad had already been fixed by the Dell tech, when I posted the reply to Doug.  I was explaining to him that I had tried everything suggested that was posted at the forums when I had the problem, and nothing worked.   That video was not yet posted when I was looking for an answer to my touchy touch pad..  I was trying to encourage him not to give up!  Just because a solution works for one,, or even several.. doesn't neccessatily mean it will work for all...  But when a person sees so many getting results from a solution, they tend to wonder if it is something they are doing, not doing...  it is frustrating to say the least.  I knew I could have used a little encouragement when I had the problem... I was really feeling lame there for a while.  Glad my solution got posted here by someone able to explain it better, and hope it helps Doug!  Thanks for your comment, Micro, no one likes to be ignored.  :)  

August 10th, 2013 13:00

Hi there,

I am having similar problems as those above - I can't seem to type a whole line without the cursor jumping somewhere else, even changing the page I'm on.

When I saw the image that Microtest posted I thought that it was sorted - I could easily follow that. Except when I opened up the Device Manager and clicked on the "Mice and other pointing devices" - there was ONLY ONE and "DELL TOUCHPAD" did not show up.

It's as if the computer doesn't register that it has a touchpad.

Getting VERY frustrated - has anyone sorted this out yet??

CHeers

August 10th, 2013 14:00

Oh, I didn't see your response MicroTest. Thank you!!!!

934 Posts

driver for Windows 8

www.dell.com/.../vostro-3360

--------------------------------------------------------

driver for Windows 7

www.dell.com/.../inspiron-1545

--------------------------------------------------------

check under Add/Remove programs if there is an entry for Dell touchpad.If so you may try uninstall the software first and then re-install the appropriate driver

Strange, I just posted something and it disappeared.

I have solved my issue - "Dell Touchpad" didn't even appear for me - so I downloaded the driver and now the touchpad is not too sensitive. Maybe that is the solution?

No Events found!