Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

February 25th, 2017 09:00

Inspiron 1545 won't shut down or restart

I searched and can't find an answer. I have an older Inspiron 1545 and it won't restart or shut down normally. I am only able to shut the laptop off using the power button. 

Many thanks if anyone can shed some light on this problem. Thanks.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

What OS?  No messages regarding a utility not shutting down?

You might try running the command below in an Admin Command Prompt.  Make note of where the report will be stored and then copy it to the desktop to check.  Close any applications you have open.  The test will run about a minute.

powercfg -energy

Whether you use a - or / will depend on the OS.

15 Posts

Don't laugh, it's Vista.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

February 25th, 2017 10:00

Since that is what it was shipped with, I really can't laugh, although I have updated mine..

To see how those commands are done, use powercfg /? to see the different commands available.  

If it isn't shutting down, possibly that command has been corrupted on your system, or some utility is not shutting down.  

If it wasn't going to sleep it might be related to the network.

Of course, a virus of some type cannot be ruled out.  I haven't used Vista since 2008...so not that familiar..

15 Posts

I found powercfg -energy and put a shortcut on my desktop. I click on it and it just flashes and nothing happens. I'm going to assume something is toast. I'm also having trouble downloading Windows Updates.

Time to shop for a new laptop. ;)

Thanks for your help.

2K Posts

Hi JOOLZWOLF,

When did the issue start? Does the system hibernate fine? Does it resume from sleep fine?

If the system was working fine earlier, then perform a system restore to restore the machine to an earlier point where it was working fine.

Update the BIOS - http://dell.to/1OVvOvw and check. 

Force the BIOS update if required - http://dell.to/2h9shSO

Restart the system and check in safe mode if the system restarts and shutsdown while in safe mode.

Enable the built in admin account and check - http://bit.ly/2lbePOG

If it still does not work, then create a system restore point, go to device manager -> uninstall the existing video drivers - and then shutdown / restart and check if it works, then reinstall the video drivers from the support site - link above.

Also, please click my DELL-username and write me a private conversation with the service tag and your contact details(Name and Email) for case records.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

15 Posts

February 25th, 2017 12:00

It hibernates fine and by pushing the power button it wakes from sleep mode. I'm not the least bit tech savvy and much of what is written, Rishi, is a bit hard for me to follow.

I'm also confused by instructions advising me to "restart" when my problem is just that. I can't restart.

In any event, thanks again.

2K Posts

February 25th, 2017 14:00

Hi JOOLZWOLF,

Open command prompt with admin rights - type this in "Shutdown –s –f" this will hard shutdown the system. When you power on the system again, keep tapping on f8 key to go to advanced boot options and choose safe mode and boot to safe mode and try the normal shutdown / restart options.

Let us know if you have any other queries.

No Events found!