Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 29th, 2011 12:00

Inspiron 1564 freezes until hard restart

I've had this computer for about five months now and last month i started having some BSOD issues due to :  

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER 0x000000fe 00000000`00000008 00000000`00000006 00000000`00000005 fffffa80`066b4160 usbhub.sys usbhub.sys+12a60

it was suggested that i update all device drivers from the dell website which i have done. the blue screens have stopped but now the computer occasionally just freezes and the cursor won't respond, the keyboard won't respond or alt+ctrl+del. If i happen to be watching a video while this happens then the computer keeps making a wierd noise until i have to do a hard reboot.  It might also be important to note that this is usually after hibernation because i tend to keep the computer in hibernate mode when i'm done.

I have run the sfc/scannow test, i have run virus test, the dell 32bit diagnostic test and the pre-boot assesment test. all are clean.I have updated all drivers. I have done everything short of reinstalling windows

Also Windows performance monitor has pointed out that the following drivers are causing windows to resume slowly - Intel Graphics Media Accelerator HD , Intel HD Graphics and Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. Could these devices be causing the problem and can i function without them?

Has anybody else experienced this issue? Dell technicians if you are out there any suggestions.

366 Posts

January 30th, 2011 08:00

hi, not a dell tech unfortunately, but I found the attached for you: 

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/282001-12-bsod-bugcode_usb_driver-stop-0x000000fe-whats-causing-this

it's an interesting read, as you were watching video when it happens.  HTH

17 Posts

January 30th, 2011 10:00

Can you describe what you mean by "weird noises"? Are these weird noises from your speakers or do they come from the machine? If they come from the machine, most likely your hard drive is going out on you, whereby the weird noise could be a result of it trying to fetch data but repeatedly failing. This could also explain why the system freezes. A disk analysis with an appropriate program should reveal any disk related issue.

Another source of noise are your fans or an optical drive (DVD, CD-ROM, Blu-Ray). Apart from that, there are no moving parts in your computer and noise coming from any other parts are highly unlikely.

Depending on how dusty the environment where you keep your computer is, dust may get into your fans or any "duct work" leading to your processor or graphic card and accumulate. Over time, this reduces the efficiency of your fans and may cause them to make noise. Cleaning may help, although if the bearings on the fan are broken or have accumulated too much dust, they may simply have to be replaced. Insufficient cooling can cause a large array of symptoms, most frequently blue screens and lockups.

If your issue is driver/software related (which is unlikely to cause any related hardware noise), reinstalling Windows from scratch (e.g., after reformatting your hard drive and reinstalling the OS from a recovery partition or Dell supplied OS reinstall disk) is probably your best choice. After the various things you have already tried, I would recommend doing that, as it will eliminate any software related issues, and if your issues persist after the reinstall, you will know (with great certainty) that they aren't software related.

In any case, given the situation, you should back up your most important data now, just in case your hard drive crashes (which can happen as a side effect when another component of your PC fails) or, of course, if you wish to reinstall Windows.

mesame

3 Posts

January 31st, 2011 04:00

jec4312 thanks for the link but unfortunately i have been directed to that site by one of the comunities i tried before. I do think the fact that it happens while i am watching a video is significant. i suspect it's one of the drivers but i just am not sure which one in particular. this problem started about 3 months after i got the computer.

Mesame the wierd noise only happens if the freeze occurs when i'm in the middle of watching a video. if not there is no sound. Yes i think it's coming from the speakers. Also i was under the impression that the pre boot assesment and dell 32-bit diagnostic test was supposed to indicate memory and hardware problems.Is that a correct assumption. I'm really hoping this is not a hardware problem because i'm assuming that i will need to return this laptop to dell and i bought the laptop while on vacation in the US and i don't live there so that will be difficult.

Reinstalling windows would be my last resort. i really didn't want to have to do it so i was looking for some sort of easier solution.

1 Message

March 30th, 2011 07:00

Hi MissyJohn,

Were you able to solve your problems? I have the EXACTLY same problem and would love to know if you found a solution because even I am outside the US. :(

Please help!

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2011 10:00

I had this problem and solved it.

I analyzed the blue screen data. Most of the blue screens were caused by the intel chipset driver....with only a couple caused by my broadcom driver. In my case, I used dell's listed 1397 wifi card driver/application as my update....seems to have worked fine. No blue screens/freezes/ or speaker noises since.

The primary fix was the intel chipset drivers

I went  to intel's site and used their driver update utility found here: http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect/

No blue screens/freezes/ or speaker noises since.

Initially, I was only using the drivers that the windows 7 install disk had provided....which, normally is fine but probably due to this being a 64 bit installation with maybe some picky hardware....it caused problems.

3 Posts

June 16th, 2011 19:00

I'm really sorry for the late response, but i just finally got my Dell Community account sorted.

I solved my problem by reinstalling Windows. I don't know how exactly that fixed it but since then i haven't had a blue screen and the laptop works fine. I hope you solved your problem in a simpler way since I lost a program or two and i still haven't reinstalled everything i had before.

No Events found!