Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 10th, 2012 00:00

Inspiron 15R 3520: Wifi drops intermittently

I just bought this laptop new, got it about 1 week ago. Everything has been going OK so far, except for wifi. It does connect, and while it's connected, everything is great. But once in a while the wifi connection would drop, for a few minutes, and then it comes back up. I cannot explain why. I have other laptops around the house, and they're still connected via wifi just fine when this one is down, so I'm sure it's not something to do with the wireless router.

When wifi drops, I can no longer ping the wireless router (which is also the gateway). It happens maybe once an hour, or maybe a bit more often than that. It's becoming pretty frustrating, since it affects download and all sorts of things I do online. If this continues I'm thinking I'll probably have to return the machine, which is a shame because I really like it except the wifi issue.

Could it be something to do with the hardware? Like an old or faulty wifi adapter? What can I do if that's the case? (I'd certainly not want to do something to the computer that affects warranty).

The laptop runs i5-3210, 4G RAM and Windows 8 if that matters. The adapter is called "Dell Wireless 1704 802.11b/g/n".

1 Message

December 15th, 2012 16:00

I have the same problem ( the same laptop). Anyone?

1 Message

December 16th, 2012 00:00

Same problem, same laptop.  Very annoying.  Help please.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 16th, 2012 17:00

I would recommend...

Go to Drivers & Downloads enter your service tag number, then select your operating system. Under Network, download and install the latest drivers.

Try these tweaks....

Start, control panel, device manager. Click on Network and then right click on your wireless adapter, left click properties, power management. Uncheck the box, allow computer to turn off this device to save power.

Click on advanced, look for antenna diversity and change it from Auto to Aux

Go to the power options, and changed the Wireless Adapter Setting, from Maximum Power Setting to Maximum Performance.

Rick

1 Message

March 14th, 2014 04:00

I have the same intermittent problem, though only every few hours. I have the recommended driver installed, the DW1704DW1704_W7_A00_Setup-F9WG9_ZPE.exe

Windoze came up with "power-cycle your router". I didn't want to risk my perfectly good wired desktop connection so I called Combast. Basically they were clueless but gave me a TEMPORARY FIX that worked:

Dell laptop WIFI fix:
1. click network on tray, open Network Center
2. click disconnect
3. it should then re-connect; it DID
4. open a Start-CMD window, type ipconfig/renew

5. of course exit both the Network center and the CMD windows

YAY, take a note for the next time

No Events found!