Timmypectorals
1 Copper

RE: Inspiron 15R 5520 Memory Upgrade Problem

Jump to solution

Hello,

There seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the maximum supported RAM for the 15R 5520.

Can someone please confirm, is it 16GB or 8GB maximum?

Also, my system (refurbished, and should arrive in 2 weeks time) has 1DIMM 4GB RAM installed, if I add another RAM module - does this have to be 4GB 1 DIMM? Or could I install a new 8GB 1DIMM? So I would end up with the configuration at the top of the screen - 4gb+8gb RAM = 12GB total

Thanks and Best Regards,

Tim

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Rahul,

Have you be able to run the inspiron i5 5520  (3 rd generation) with 10 Gb ram or above . If yes than please let me know what are the changes you did ?

Thanks,

Ashish

rahul gulati
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ashish

this machine can only support maximum 8gb.

Jump to solution

Dear Rahul,

As per abulafi comments that he was able to run 12GB after updating the bios to A11 . Did you tried it after bios update please let me know.

Thanks,

Ashish

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi Evancase,

Have you be able to run the inspiron i5 5520  (3 rd generation) with 10 Gb ram or above . If yes than please let me know what are the changes you did ?

Thanks,

Ashish

rahul gulati
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Ashish Bhai:

I know that abulafi upgrade his system but, When i spoke to Dell Customer care, They said that 5520 is only support 8 GB max.

I didn't wanted to spoil my system. I do have one friend he upgrade his system with 12 GB ram. His system is getting too hot after sometime and performance got down too.

Regarding BIOS up gradation-It helps to increase the performance of your system. 

But if your machine supports only 8 GB according to manufacture protocals. I don't think so you have to go for more than 8 GB.

rest is your wish.

Thanks

Rahul 

abulafi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi anish,

Yes I manage to run my laptop with 16GBs of RAM (8 x 2 Samsung) without any issues since the start date of this post till the moment of this reply.

I hope this answers your question, but without any guarantee.

0 Kudos
zombieshard
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Hello abulafi,

I installed 2 x 8GB RAM today, yet the total physical memory is still 8GB.
BIOS up to date to A14. Am i missing something that you've probably done?

0 Kudos
abulafi
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hello abulafi,

I installed 2 x 8GB RAM today, yet the total physical memory is still 8GB.
BIOS up to date to A14. Am i missing something that you've probably done?

Sorry to hear that.

Did you use identical RAM sticks? What is the bus speed for both?

What operating system are you running? Is the RAM not being recognized by both BIOS and OS?

Did you try to mount each of them alone? Try also to place each of the sticks alone while swapping the socket on each trial attempt.

Besides that, I will check the current BIOS version I have and come back to you on that.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution
According to the original listing of this model, it supports a maximum of two sticks of 4GB DDR3 1333. The CPU set is stated by Intel to support two sticks of 8GB DDR3 1600. To prevent the user of the machine from messing it up, Dell severely limits user access to BIOS settings, even to the Administrator. Dell has a giant share of both the Desktop & Laptop PCs, and the bulk of the users shouldn't go near the BIOS. Give a curious person who thinks he knows what he's doing, and a few keystrokes can make the PC useless. It's frustrating for those who know how to fiddle with BIOS settings to personalize/customize their PC to get things working the best way possible for that particular user. So, when it first came out of the box, the BIOS would only allow a maximum of two matched sticks of DDR3 1333 of no more than 4GB, each. I imagine that the laptop in this thread is having problems with the mismatched sticks and possibly for exceeding what Dell's BIOS says is possible. Just an educated guess, based upon what Dell publishes as it's limits V Intel's published limits. Why Dell would do this doesn't make much sense to me, as a simple BIOS update allows full access to the CPU's capabilities.