Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 12th, 2013 08:00

Inspiron 15R 5521 --- Laptop shuts down randomly

I've had this laptop for the best part of two months now and it has been excellent up to now. However, it has now shut down completely 4 times within the same day - with absolutely no warning. It doesn't feel as if it has overheated but I'm only touching the outer shell.

Is there something horribly wrong or is there an easy fix?

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 12th, 2013 08:00

Hi nitsuaj,

As the system is shutting down intermittently, I would suggest you to run hardware diagnostics:

Follow the steps below to run hardware diagnostics.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping the F12 key on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. From the One time boot menu select Diagnostics and Press Enter.
  4. It runs a test on all the hardware components.
  5. If it test fails please capture the error code and let me know the error code, I would tell you the next course of action.

In case the test passes, follow the next steps. Check in Safe Mode with Networking.

1. Restart the computer.
  2. Keep tapping F8 on the Dell Logo Screen.
  3. Once the computer enters Advanced Boot Option, select Safe Mode with Networking.
  4. Press Enter.

Check if the computer is doing the same thing in safe mode with networking.

Also, refer this link for troubleshooting the fans and air vents: http://dell.to/101noJK

Please check the functionality of the fan and post the results.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2013 09:00

Thank you very much for the reply

I ran the initial test and the laptop passed; I then ran the "advanced" test it offered and left the laptop alone since it said it would take more than 30 mins to complete and it had turned off again once I returned to it.

I'll now test if it still turns off in safemode as you suggested.

5 Posts

August 12th, 2013 10:00

Rebooted in safe mode but it is still turning itself off randomly... That makes it 7 "crashes" today.

Does anyone else have any ideas??

5 Posts

August 12th, 2013 13:00

Hasn't shut down in safe mode since that one, is that an indication of lower clocking = lower temperatures and so it is a heat problem??

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 13th, 2013 07:00

Hi nitsuaj,

As the system is working fine in Safe mode with Networking, We can do a Clean boot to isolate the startup or service that is causing the issue. Follow the below mentioned steps for Clean boot:

1. Click “Start”, type “msconfig” and press enter to open the “System Configuration” utility.
  2. In the “General Tab”, click “Selective startup”, and uncheck the “Load startup items” check box.
  3. Click “Services” tab, check the box for “Hide all Microsoft services”, and then click “Disable all”.
  4. Click “OK”, and then click “Restart”.

After the clean boot, if the issue does not occur, open “System Configuration” utility again and enable 3-4 startup items, restart the computer. Repeat this by enabling few startup items at a time and restart the computer. Similarly, repeat the same with “Services”. Make a note of the Startup item and Service which was causing the problem.

Kindly let me know the results. 

5 Posts

August 14th, 2013 03:00

Ran a clean boot but it still shut down after a slightly longer time. Called dell support desk and the engineer has replaced the motherboard and checked the fan system - should be the solution. Thank you for your suggestions though! It helped the support desk diagnose the fault quickly.

4 Operator

• 

2.6K Posts

August 14th, 2013 04:00

Hi nitsuaj,

Thank you for the update, please write back to us if you need any further help.

3 Posts

December 14th, 2013 10:00

1 Message

April 5th, 2014 16:00

Error code 2000-0333 

Validation 42064

2 Posts

July 27th, 2014 12:00

hi there :) im facing same problem with my dell laptop ? what have you done to resolve this issue ?

September 8th, 2014 07:00

I have the exact same problem with my Inspiron 15R.  I've had it for exactly one year - bought it on 05 September 2013 - and by same *strange coincidence* this exact problem began happening exactly one day after my warranty expired.  I will NOT be purchasing another Dell!

1 Message

November 4th, 2014 09:00

Hi Nikhil

I had booting issues so landed up on this page.

I'm getting a message saying hard drive not installed and all other components are working just fine

my warranty runs till Jan 2015.

Cheers.

1 Message

December 27th, 2014 13:00

Mine lasted 11 months.  Now it won't stay on for more than 5 minutes at a time.  No assistance for me because I'm out of warranty and nobody can find record of my phone call in July (before my warranty expired).  This is my 4th Dell computer and last, not counting all of the printers, sound systems etc. that I have purchased through Dell.  Not happy to have a laptop on the shelf collecting dust.

5 Posts

April 21st, 2015 21:00

Mine is also shutting off.  Very annoying.  Cannot find any solutions and Dell is useless!!  Their solution, buy an extended warranty.  

I've changed power settings, tried installing updates, but since it only stays on for 30 minutes, that never finishes. 

HELP! 

5 Posts

April 21st, 2015 22:00

computer will not start in safe mode. 

No Events found!