Highlighted
Wotwotaki
1 Copper

Inspiron 15R N5110 Experiencing Random Shut-downs and Refuses to Power Up

This is a fairly recent issue that has been occuring to me. I'm using my laptop and it just suddenly turns off. No shut down process, no error messages, it just simply turns off. I try to turn it back on by pressing the power button but it doesn't turn on. This has happened to me regardless of whether I have it plugged in with a charger or not.

After like 15-20 minutes I can turn the laptop back on, but it seems to be an ambiguous amount of time before this error happens again. Sometimes I can use the laptop just fine for hours on end, other times it doesn't last 5 minutes!

When my laptop is refusing to turn on, I tried plugging in my charger but the light indicator for the charger on my laptop didn't turn on. I know my charger works perfectly fine (used on a friend's laptop to check). Is this an error with my AC adaptor jack or is it some other problem?

My laptop is still under warranty and I just don't believe it's a hard drive error so I was wondering if anybody else had the same problem/found a solution.

8 Replies

RE: Inspiron 15R N5110 Experiencing Random Shut-downs and Refuses to Power Up

Hi Wotwotaki,

I am sorry about the situation. Do you experience system overheating? Check if the issue repeats in safe mode. To go to ‘Safe Mode’ restart the system and at the Dell logo tap the F8 key every two seconds. In the ‘Advanced Boot options’ window using arrow keys, select ‘Safe Mode’ and hit enter. Clean the air vents with a can of compressed air. Also flash BIOS from the link given below:

http://dell.to/19HbOcM  

Check if the issue persists even after flashing BIOS. If the issue persists run diagnostics on the hardware components of the system by pressing FN + power button. Click to the following link for reference:  

http://dell.to/16KQ3r0  

Let me know if there is any error message.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
Dell Social Media and Community Professional
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Wotwotaki
1 Copper

I don't think my system is overheating at all. My core temps always hover around 50 C which seems pretty normal, and the computer shutdowns occur at seemingly random moments.

I found it kind of hard to see if the issue still occurs in safe mode because of how random the problem occurs. Sometimes it takes hours and sometimes it might not even happen on a given day. My air vents are fairly clean and flashing BIOS doesn't work ("Can't flash to same BIOS version" or something). 

I even ran diagnostic tests and got no error messages whatsoever. Everything seems in good shape besides random shutdowns. 

0 Kudos

Hi Wotwotaki,

Thank you for the update. I request you to perform one last step that is to update video driver. Click on the link below, enter the system service tag and click Submit. Select the Operating system from the drop down list to get drivers for your system model:

http://dell.to/14Xsnmd

Restart the system and check and let me know the status.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Wotwotaki
1 Copper

I updated my video drivers but I still seem to have the same issue.

Sometimes if I take out my batter and then put it back in, my laptop can start back up. But usually when this issue occurs the laptop won't turn on if I simply run it connected to a charger w/o the battery.

0 Kudos

Hi Wotwotaki,

Thank you for the update. Since the issue is persisting with the drivers update, I recommend restoring the system to the factory installed state. Click on the link below for Windows 7 PC restore:

http://dell.to/15DfFoj

Please back up all the data before performing this step. Let me know if it is different Operating system.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
Wotwotaki
1 Copper

I don't really want to restore my laptop to factory settings because I bought the laptop w/ Windows 7 pre-installed but I then installed Windows 8 over it. I strongly believe that this might be a hardware issue though. When picking up my laptop I noticed that there's something rattling around inside which is kind of a dead giveaway that at least something is not in its correct place.

Also the fact that the laptop starts turning back on after I take out the battery and put it back in leads me to suspect there's something in the wiring for the power that is short circuiting. If I want to ship my laptop back in to get looked at (it's still under warranty), how do I specify that they simply try to fix the hardware? I really don't want to reset to factory settings/lose my current OS, and backing up my files is a bit of a hassle because my alternative computer is a rather decrepit desktop using a decade-old processor :/

0 Kudos

Hi Wotwotaki,

Please send me a private message with the system service tag , first and last name as registered when system was purchased, email address, address, telephone number, best time to call, to assist you further. Click on my name and click Start Conversation to send me a private message.

Thanks and Regards,
DELL-Sujatha K
#iwork4Dell
Order Status
Download Drivers

0 Kudos
hnguyen140
1 Copper

My system (Inspiron 15R N5110) is out of warranty. However, I'm now experiencing the random complete power shut down. When restarting the computer, i get the message of choosing what mode to restart the system, including safe mode.

This computer is not used regularly. I've read the message about restoring to factory default. Lame response when it is already running with default software. System shutting down is not related to software. Seems to me it's a hardware issue. 

0 Kudos