Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 5th, 2015 05:00

Inspiron 15R N5110 Overheating

I have an Inspiron 15R N5110 laptop from 2011 Q1.
Recently I am facing the problem again that the laptop is overheating a lot. After startup the GPU is at 60 degrees Celsius, and as soon as I start a game(League of Legends, Heroes of the Storm, all on the lowest possible settings), in a minute or two my GPU reaches 97-99 degrees Celsius and comes the performance drop. 
Just while browsing it idles between 60-70 degrees.
This might still be acceptable(not for me tho) if the laptop would be laying on the table/bed and it would have problems getting air. BUT! I am using a 22 cm big laptop cooler pad from Thermaltake, with this I can hold the temperatures at the above mentioned values. Without the cooler the laptop just goes wild and shuts down after 5 minutes of gaming/video streaming due to overheating.

Now I am pretty sure this is not the optimal temperature. Previously I had to get a new cooling in the laptop, and after it got installed the laptop felt like it was new, no performance issues, no overheating. It kept itself around 40 degrees at startup and didn't go higher than 75-80 while gaming/watching movies, etc...

My question would be about if it is possible to get a new cooling system(meaning the fan and the heat sink for the cpu & gpu) from DELL. I was looking around the interwebz and of course I could order from Ebay, but I'd rather try to get a genuine part from Dell if possible.

Only problem is that my laptop no longer has warranty, so I would actually buy the cooler from dell, question is if this is possible to do so or not. If not what other options do I have other than buying a new laptop.

PS:Yes, I have cleaned the fan multiple times.

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

March 5th, 2015 05:00

Unless the fan is clearly not operating (or fails the Dell diagnostic -- F12 at powerup), the heatsink-fan doesn't need to be replaced.  The thermal pad (sits between the CPU/GPU and heatsink) may need to be replaced though -a  2 mm pad should do the job.

You will note that quite a bit of disassembly is needed to get to the part you need to replace.

5.2K Posts

March 5th, 2015 20:00

You will need the pad, as without it the heat exchanger possibly will not seat correctly.

Heat exchangers can fail if the fan is still working. Enough dust and dirt on the assembly can result in high temps. In addition, a leak in the heat pipe will let air in and greatly hinder heat transfer to the radiator.

7 Posts

March 5th, 2015 08:00

Will some really good quality thermal paste work too?

7 Posts

March 5th, 2015 23:00

Okay thanks.
Can you link me one please which works for sure with my laptop?
I don't want to get something for it which might not work or make is worse.

Right now I found this one as I couldn't find any on dells website:
www.coolerkit.com/.../ek-thermal-pad-3039p.html

Any thoughts about it? Or can you tell me what should I look for? I would really appreciate it.

5.2K Posts

March 6th, 2015 08:00

Dell doesn't list much on it's site. The one you found should be OK. Just cut the pad to the same size as the original.

7 Posts

March 10th, 2015 13:00

I did use the linked pad and cut them exactly to the same size as the old ones(which were really-really worn out). Even tho I did so and used a 1,5mm one instead of the 2mm one, they are too thick for the VGA, making the heat sink not fit on its correct place making the VGA overheat to 100+ degrees in a minute after starting any software that relies on it.
So out of experience: if anybody wants to replace the pads, buy something thinner than 1,5mm, preferably 0,5-1mm ones.

No Events found!