Highlighted
sw1010
1 Copper

Inspiron 15R (N5110) Touch Pad Driver Freezes Computer

Hi,

I just reinstalled the operating system (Windows 7) as recommended by technical support. I had been having a problem with my touch pad and they said it was a software issue. The touch pad does not have full functionality. The right click will not work and I have to use a mouse, which is not always convenient. I have the install disk for the drivers and have tried installing the touch pad driver, R305170.exe. After installing the driver,  my laptop freezes and makes the touch pad totally unusable. I then have to restore to before the driver was installed. 

There is not a driver even listed for the touch pad. The driver is listed in the Device Manager under Mouse as PS/2. It seems the driver on the Dell site and on the disk is corrupting the computer. Could it be clashing with PS/2 driver?

Any suggestions on how to fix this issue would be great.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

RE: Inspiron 15R (N5110) Touch Pad Driver Freezes Computer

Hi sw1010,

I would suggest you to update the BIOS on the computer. Please enter your service tag # on the link below, then download the BIOS required onto the system and install it.

http://dell.to/18r60nI

Please use the previous version of the touchpad driver from the link below for issue resolution.

http://dell.to/1MdbXLv

Please let me know if this helps.

0 Kudos
sw1010
1 Copper

Thank you for your help.

I had already updated the BIOS (N5110A11.EXE  - the newest version). I tried installing the driver you suggested, but the touch pad still does not work. The pad works to move the cursor but the buttons do not work.

0 Kudos

Hi sw1010,

Please boot the system onto the safe mode (F8 during startup) and check if there is an issue with the touchpad.

0 Kudos
sw1010
1 Copper

Thank you for your help. I booted into Safe Mode and the touch-pad is still not working. If I am on a folder and click the left button on the touch-pad the following options are displayed: Open, share with, Restore previous versions, Include in library, Send to, Cut , Copy, ....... There is not a way to stop the options from showing unless you move off the folder ,left click then hit Refresh. Nothing happens when clicking the right touch-pad button.

Once I re-boot and go back to Windows the right button will not work at all and the left button only works to open a folder or file or max/min or close a window.

0 Kudos

Hi sw1010,

I would suggest you to perform operating system installation again to determine if it’s a software issue or the hardware issue.

Also, please private message the system service tag so that we can check and assist you further.

0 Kudos